1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Comparing moment of inertia to mass in linear motion

1. Mar 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Compare the role played by the moment of inertia in rotational motion, to that played by mass in linear motion.

2. Relevant equations
    I have no idea how to tackle this question. I tried looking up the defenition of moment of inertia as a start, but I only found anything relevant in a linear momentum. How should I answer this please?

3. The attempt at a solution
    Couldn't figure it out...

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2012 #2

jambaugh

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Look at how mass is used in linear motion. Note it appears in defining the relationship between force and acceleration, between momentum and velocity, and in defining kinetic energy. Look at the corresponding relationships in rotational motion.

The question is designed to test your understanding. So while reading up on e.g. moment of inertia, don't look for the answer, look for understanding! How is moment of inertia defined and how is it used? (Note that in physics these are the same question! Don't confuse "how it is calculated" with "how it is defined"!!!)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook