Role of moment of inertia in rotational motion versus mass in linear motion

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
clairecho22
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Compare the role played by the moment of inertia in rotational motion, to that played by mass in linear motion.


Homework Equations


I have no idea how to tackle this question. I tried looking up the defenition of moment of inertia as a start, but I only found anything relevant in a linear momentum. How should I answer this please?


The Attempt at a Solution


Couldn't figure it out...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Look at how mass is used in linear motion. Note it appears in defining the relationship between force and acceleration, between momentum and velocity, and in defining kinetic energy. Look at the corresponding relationships in rotational motion.

The question is designed to test your understanding. So while reading up on e.g. moment of inertia, don't look for the answer, look for understanding! How is moment of inertia defined and how is it used? (Note that in physics these are the same question! Don't confuse "how it is calculated" with "how it is defined"!)