Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Comparing real and expected values

1. Feb 23, 2012 #1
    Hi,

Just a hypothetical problem...

Lets say I test participants in three "light" conditions (dim light,
    bright light, no light) to see how they reach an object. There are 20 trials
    within each condition.

There are four possible reaching trajectories (A, B, C, and D). Lets define them
    by a particular angle of a reaching arm to the frontal plane of a participant.

I expect that performance in any of the
    three "light" conditions will follow a trajectory "C", and not any other trajectory.
    That is, angles of a reaching arm should correspond to angle of trajectory "C"

What would be the most suitable test of this prediction? How could I conduct such
    test in SPSS?

Thanks for your help!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2012 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

It isn't clear whether you intend "expected values" to have the standard definition used in probability theory. The expected value of a random variable is its mean (or "average") value. It wouldn't necessarily be the value that a person would expect to observe on every realization of the random variable.

4. Feb 28, 2012 #3
    Hi Stephen,

I will get back to this soon. Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook