1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Comparing sound waves to waves in a Coaxial Cable aka T.E.M.

1. Dec 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Compare sound waves to waves in coaxial cables a.k.a. T.E.M.

I really have no idea how to answer this question. I've been researching and researching, and so far i can't find any information about WAVES for coaxial cables. Any help?

Thanks.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

:eek:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2008 #2

turin

Homework Helper

Let's start with:

What does the "T" in "TEM" stand for? For that matter, the "EM" is another difference.

4. Dec 11, 2008 #3
    The T means Transverse am i correct?

5. Dec 12, 2008 #4

turin

Homework Helper

Yes. Can you think of a reason why this is different than a sound wave? Well, actually, that is a little bit more complicated, but I don't want to confuse you. Let's just assume sound in a fluid, like air.

6. Dec 12, 2008 #5
    I know that air is trapped between the inner and outer conductor, but what i don't know is how their waves are different... I might not be descriptive enough, let me know if im not.

7. Dec 12, 2008 #6

turin

Homework Helper

No, it's not. (at least, not for a good quality one.) Probably, they are asking about a sound wave in the air (not in the coax), and then to compare this to the kinds of wave in a coax that are TEM.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?