Comparing sound waves to waves in a Coaxial Cable aka T.E.M.

Homework Statement

Compare sound waves to waves in coaxial cables a.k.a. T.E.M.

I really have no idea how to answer this question. I've been researching and researching, and so far i can't find any information about WAVES for coaxial cables. Any help?

Thanks.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

:eek:

Answers and Replies

turin
Homework Helper
Let's start with:

What does the "T" in "TEM" stand for? For that matter, the "EM" is another difference.

Let's start with:

What does the "T" in "TEM" stand for? For that matter, the "EM" is another difference.

The T means Transverse am i correct?

turin
Homework Helper
The T means Transverse am i correct?
Yes. Can you think of a reason why this is different than a sound wave? Well, actually, that is a little bit more complicated, but I don't want to confuse you. Let's just assume sound in a fluid, like air.

Yes. Can you think of a reason why this is different than a sound wave? Well, actually, that is a little bit more complicated, but I don't want to confuse you. Let's just assume sound in a fluid, like air.

I know that air is trapped between the inner and outer conductor, but what i don't know is how their waves are different... I might not be descriptive enough, let me know if im not.

turin
Homework Helper
I know that air is trapped between the inner and outer conductor, ...
No, it's not. (at least, not for a good quality one.) Probably, they are asking about a sound wave in the air (not in the coax), and then to compare this to the kinds of wave in a coax that are TEM.