Comparison of high-level computer programming languages

For numerical calculations (as in a lot of scientific/physics programs), FORTRAN is reputed to be the fastest.
FORTRAN and C are equally as fast. But everyone knows programs spend most of their time in a small amount of code. You write in an easy to write language like Python, then a faster language like LUAJIT for the critical parts found from running the code. For example here is a quicksort in Python:

def qsort(arr):
if len(arr) <= 1:
return arr
else:
return qsort([x for x in arr[1:] if x < arr[0]]) + \
[arr[0]] + \
qsort([x for x in arr[1:] if x >= arr[0]])

Dead simple. But you may need it faster. I have written a quick-sort in assembler so I would hack that rather than use Lua or C - but that's just because I am lucky in having the code. It's not hard in Lua though - and if that isn't fast enough use assembler - but as I said I was lucky enough to have one in assembler anyway so would go for that.

In general you could go to C for the ultra critical bits, but I tend to go for assembler - JuaJIT is mostly as fast as C. And yes you still need a minimum knowledge of C - its excellent for gluing languages together, plus I don't write assembler direct but rather as assembler statements in C.

I learned FORTRAN 35 years ago and avoided it as much as possible since then - never did like it.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
FactChecker
Science Advisor
Gold Member
FORTRAN and C are equally as fast.
That is what I always assumed, but the benchmark results that I have seen had FORTRAN slightly (but significantly) faster. I have no explanation for that and have never done my own comparison tests to verify it.
I learned FORTRAN 35 years ago and avoided it as much as possible since then - never did like it.
IMHO, even by today's standards, FORTRAN has some excellent features for scientific/engineering use that are unmatched in other general-purpose languages.

Last edited:
Likes m4r35n357
Even by today's standards, FORTRAN has some excellent features for scientific/engineering use that are unmatched in other general-purpose languages.
It does with tons of libraries to call freely available. But I still reckon for real speed its assembler. No idea why FORTRAN would be bit faster than C, but personally I just use C as glue.

Actually in my degree I had to write some numerical analysis code - I had Pascal or FORTRAN to choose from - for me no choice - I used Pascal. As a professional programmer used a language called NATURAL, but after I retired moved onto Python and Lua. Do not know C that well - just use it for glue and in writing assembler. As usual assembler is a royal pain - but fast - really fast.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Likes FactChecker
FactChecker
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Actually in my degree I had to write some numerical analysis code - I had Pascal or FORTRAN to choose from - for me no choice - I used Pascal.
When I was writing simulations of air-to-air combat, the ability in Pascal to write code like "ProbabilityOfKill( GoodGuy, BadGuy) = 0.5" where GoodGuy and BadGuy were enumerated types read as text from an input file was extremely appealing. Unfortunately, I was self-taught in experimenting with Pascal and there was no internet back then. I didn't know how to read/write a file of parameters containing enumerated types as text ( like "F16", "Foxbat", 0.5 ). I thought that it couldn't be done and left Pascal in disgust.

Likes bhobba
Svein
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Way back when I started programming, the older guys were more or less married to FORTRAN IV. I did not care one way or the other until I had to debug a FORTRAN program - the error was that one instance of one variable was spelled wrong which made it an autodeclared variable which was never initialized but used in one particular spot.

Autodeclaration, three-way IF statements and hundreds of GOTOs - programming in assembly was less confusing.

Likes bhobba
I started coding with Pascal first. Nostalgia aside, it's not a very well-designed language. I really enjoyed C, where you had more fine control over memory allocation, and your strings could be of different lengths (and still be of type char*, unlike Pascal, where the length of the array was part of the type).

It's also a little too verbose. It's very good for a teaching language, but the smallest project I've been involved in, would be three times as large if it were written in Pascal.

Still love it thought. My first...

Likes bhobba and Klystron