Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Comparison of high-level computer programming languages

1. Sep 21, 2018 #61

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

I think there is a generational divide. I have always considered C/C++ to be "higher level", but that seems very out of date now. People can produce programs using MATLAB/Simulink or MatrixX/SystemBuild that would have been inconceivable long ago. And I am sure that others have similar experience with other 4th generation languages.

PS. I will never forget my reaction when MathCad gave us a language that automatically converted units and helped in dimensional analysis but the aerospace industry turned to Ada, which enforced everything but helped in nothing. IMHO, that was a HUGE step backward from 4'th generation languages.

PPS. I would still consider C/C++ to be an essential language for any professional programmer.

2. Sep 21, 2018 #62

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I don't think it's out of date - at least not for modern C++ - but perhaps that just means that I am myself out of date.

3. Sep 21, 2018 #63
    I'm rather more "out of date" than probably anybody else, but my (pro) experience is in CoBOL (which really does deserve the levied humour, but also really does run rings around anything else in its domain). I tend to use 4GL's as analysis tools to get a grip on the problem, rather than production languages.

On the other hand I worked with a rather more experienced (ie: older, with a previous generation methodology under his belt) programmer who could work wonders with a 4GL in a production environment... granted, by basically ignoring all the "fancy" stuff and concentrating on its capabilities closest to the metal.

Just wondering why I haven't seen any references to ForTran or Algol in the last four pages. Surely they both have OO, advanced libraries and decent graphics capabilities by now ?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  4. Sep 21, 2018 #64

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

I think that a targeted language like COBOL has great advantages over general purpose languages. I have some experience with several simulation languages for discrete event, continuous, and mixed models, statistical languages like R and SAS, scripting languages, etc. They are all better in their domain than general purpose languages.
    FORTRAN has advantages for engineering analysis that I have never seen matched. I especially like the namelist capability for easily printing and reading large amounts of data in a readable format. Many programmers think that they can duplicate that capability in C or C++, but they never succeed.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted