1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Comparison test for convergence problem: why is this incorrect?

1. Feb 27, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The original question is posted on my online-assignment. It asks the following:

Determine whether the following series converges or diverges:

[itex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}[/itex][itex]\frac{3^{n}}{3+7^{n}}[/itex]

There are 3 entry fields for this question. One right next to the series above with the following options:

either [itex]\succ[/itex] or [itex]\prec[/itex] then next to that there is a field in which to input the thing that I am going to compare it to.

the third and final field I choose divergent or convergent

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So I compared it to ([itex]\frac{4^{n}}{6^{n}}[/itex]) because the original series is clearly less than this one. By doing the comparison test I determined that the series converges.

So I get "less than" right and "converges" right but I didn't get the other part right. Isn't it true that the original series is less than the one I decided above? Or was I wrong somewhere else?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2012 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

Everything you said sounds trues, though I'm not sure I understand the question?

Also, why wouldn't you just compare to [itex] \sum_n \frac{3^n}{7^n} [/itex]?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  4. Feb 27, 2012 #3
    That must be it.. I was just slight confused as to whether it was bigger or smaller than the original series, so I wanted to be EXTRA sure by choosing the one I mentioned above. I guess that must have been where I went wrong. But still, is what I did above correct? I realize that I could have made an "easier" decision for what to compare it to, but isn't what I chose still correct?

Thanks!

5. Feb 27, 2012 #4

lanedance

Homework Helper

yeah looks ok to me, generally want to choose the easiest to compare and the closest possible.

For the pupose of the convergence, as long as for some n>N each term yn> xn and (sum yn) converges, then (sum xn) converges

6. Feb 27, 2012 #5

kai_sikorski

Gold Member

If it's an automatically graded online assignment the software might be hard-coded to only accept the most natural choice. What you did is correct though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook