Compilation of severe errors in famous textbooks

In summary: But this is different than saying these books have ERRORS! Errors mean that the content is faulty!You are confusing personal preference with there being mistakes in the content. Those are two entirely different...
I'm really puzzled, why there's still so much confusion. This example is now utmost simple. You have in this case the matrix ##(k_{ij})=\mathrm{diag}(m \omega_1^2,m \omega_2^2)## already diagonalized. Thus the EoM reads
$$\mathrm{d}_t^2 \begin{pmatrix} x_1 \\ x_2 \end{pmatrix}=-\begin{pmatrix} \omega_1^2 x_1 \\ omega_2^2 \vec{x}_2 \end{pmatrix}.$$
These are simply two-uncoupled harmonic oscillators.

Now you look for single-frequency solutions with the ansatz
$$\vec{x}(t)=\vec{A} \exp(-\mathrm{i} \omega t).$$
Plugging this into the EoM gives after cancelling the common factor ##\exp(-\mathrm{i} \omega t)##
$$-\omega^2 \vec{A}=-\begin{pmatrix}\omega_1^2 A_1 \\ \omega_2^2 A_2 \end{pmatrix}.$$
Now if ##\omega_1 \neq \omega_2##, you necessarily must have either
$$\omega=\omega_1, \quad A_2=0$$
or
$$\omega=\omega_2, \quad A_1=0.$$
This is not surprising since you simply have the two eigenvectors ##(A_1,0)## and ##(0,A_2)## for the normal modes of the two oscillators. Writing it in terms of the two normalized eigenvectors ##\vec{e}_1=(1,0)## and ##\vec{e}_2=(0,1)## the general solution thus is
$$\vec{x}(t)=\vec{e}_1 (C_{11} \exp(-\mathrm{i} \omega_1 t) +C_{12} \exp(\mathrm{i} \omega_1 t) +\vec{e}_2 (C_{21} \exp(-\mathrm{i} \omega_1 t) +C_{22} \exp(\mathrm{i} \omega_1 t),$$
as you can of course read off directly from the EoM, because the matrix ##\hat{k}## was already given in diagonalized form.

Likes fluidistic
Physics news on Phys.org
The errata for Schwartz's QFT text is rumored to be longer than the book itself

• Wow
Likes Demystifier
I thought that's more true for Peskin&Schroeder's QFT text...

• Wow
Likes bhobba and Demystifier
vanhees71 said:
I thought that's more true for Peskin&Schroeder's QFT text...
It's true of every qft...

• Wow
Likes Demystifier
And the index of the book cannot give both the right term and the right page simultaneously!

weirdoguy said:
Erratas are for minor typos, and OP excluded this out of discussion.
Google is rarely that precise (I've actually had the opposite problem), so that it may get you something reasonably-close to a list of mistakes. worth a try, I'd say.