Complete Removal of Matter from Space

In summary, the conversation delves into the question of what would remain in a region of space if all matter and energy were removed. While the concept is impossible to answer, the individuals discuss the possibility of a vacuum at absolute zero temperature and the theoretical existence of elementary particles. The conversation also touches on the philosophical implications of non-existence in this scenario.
brookssp
What is left if all matter and energy is removed from a particular region in space?

For example, say I completely remove all of the matter and energy from a region of the air in front of me (also assuming no matter or energy moves in and out of this space once I do this), then what is left?

Physics news on Phys.org
Because the scenario is absurd, it's a question impossible to answer. May I ask why you're so curious about that?

Someone brought up when discussing origins of matter in Cosmology class. I know other people have thought about it before and have possible opinions/logic to it even if it is absurd (which it is but it does lie at the heart of the origin of matter). I suppose it could be construed as a philosophical question but was interested in what others thought.

What comes to my mind is an area where there is absolutely nothing and is at temperature of absolute zero. But I'm wondering whether such area can exist even in theory.

That is exactly what I'm wondering too. I know it's not empirically possible but could it be theoretically possible?

Imho, such area is the very definition of non-existence. If there's no mass nor energy it does not exist.

brookssp said:
What is left if all matter and energy is removed from a particular region in space?

For example, say I completely remove all of the matter and energy from a region of the air in front of me (also assuming no matter or energy moves in and out of this space once I do this), then what is left?
You mean removing the air from "a region of the air in front of me", right? Then you will have, macroscopically, a vacuum but, microscopically, there will be elementary particles popping into and out of existence all the time.

1. What is "Complete Removal of Matter from Space"?

"Complete Removal of Matter from Space" refers to the hypothetical process of completely removing all matter from a given region of space. This would essentially create a vacuum or void in that particular area.

2. Is it possible to completely remove matter from space?

Currently, it is not possible to completely remove all matter from space. However, scientists have been able to create vacuums in small, controlled environments, such as in laboratories.

3. Why would we want to remove matter from space?

The concept of removing matter from space is often discussed in relation to space exploration and colonization. By creating a vacuum or void, we could potentially create habitable environments on other planets or moons that are currently uninhabitable due to harsh environments.

4. What are the potential risks or consequences of removing matter from space?

One of the main concerns is the disruption of gravitational forces and potential impacts on nearby celestial bodies. It could also have unforeseen effects on the overall balance and stability of the universe.

5. What are the current methods being explored for removing matter from space?

Scientists are currently exploring various methods for creating vacuums, such as using high-powered lasers or magnetic fields. However, these methods are still in the early stages of research and development and have not yet been proven to be effective on a large scale.