Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complete set of multi-variable functions

1. Oct 13, 2015 #1

ShayanJ

Gold Member

We know that in the space of functions, its possible to find a complete set so that you can write for an arbitrary function f, ## f(x)=\sum_n a_n \phi_n(x) ## and use the orthonormality relations between ## \phi##s to find the coefficients.
    But is it possible to find a set of functions ## \phi_n(x,y) ## such that you can write for an arbitrary function of x and y ## f(x,y)=\sum_n c_n \phi_n(x,y) ##? Is there any orthonormality relation that lets you find the coefficients?
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2015 #2

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

For an arbitrary function, the answer is "no".

However, if you consider, for example, the Hilbert space ##L^2([a,b] \times [a,b]; \mathbb{C})## (with the inner product equal to the iterated integral) then the answer is "yes". In that case an orthonormal basis is obtained by taking products of the functions that form any orthonormal basis of ##L^2([a,b]; \mathbb{C})##. This is proven in most introductory functional analysis books.

4. Oct 22, 2015 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

What does "The space of functions" even mean here?

5. Oct 22, 2015 #4

ShayanJ

Gold Member

I got my answer from Krylov's post. I'll be more careful in the future.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook