1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complete Square + Leibniz question (2 questions)

1. Jun 27, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1. How did they complete the square for these equations in the picture below? What was their thought process?

2. distance/velocity = time , velocity/acceleration = time , In leibniz notation how does this cancel out?

When you divide, how does it cancel out to give you a time unit?

2. Relevant equations
    1. In picture

2. ds/dt / d2s / dt2

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. It seems like it came out of thin air.

2. dt/ds = time?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2016 #2

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

What is 2. in your relevant equations?

##V = d/t \to t = d/V##
    You can add A and subtract A (equivalent to adding 0), and it's still the same.
    ##\frac{v_{y0}x}{v_{x0}} - \frac{gx^2}{2v_{x0}^2} + \frac{v_{y0}^2}{2g} - \frac{v_{y0}^2}{2g} ##
    They factored out ## \frac{-g}{2v_{x0}^2} ##

Rearrange it and it might look a little closer.

4. Jun 27, 2016 #3
    In my relevant solutions it is velocity/acceleration, the way I put it was just in leibniz notation in terms of s(t)

5. Jun 27, 2016 #4

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

I think I was just confused by all the slashes. Sort of makes it look like one big fraction made of fractions.

6. Jun 27, 2016 #5
    V2y0/2g

How did you find that

7. Jun 28, 2016 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I assume you are asking about getting from the second equation in the image to the third.
    Just expand the square in the third equation and simplify. You should arrive at the second equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted