Complete to orthonormal basis question

As far as I know, there is no version of Gram-Schmidt that doesn't do that.In summary, to make the given vectors into an orthonormal basis, the Gram-Schmidt orthogonalization process should be used. This involves finding a new vector that is orthogonal to the previous ones and normalizing it. This process should be repeated until all vectors are orthogonal, and then each vector should be divided by its length to make them orthonormal.
transgalactic
i got these vectors which are othronormal
v1 (1/2,-1/2,1/2,-1/2)
v2 (-1/2,1/2,1/2,-1/2)

i need to compete them into orthonormal basis
i did row reduction on them
and added these independant vectors to the group
v3(1,0,0,0)
v4(0,1,0,0)

now all four vectors are independant (orthogonal)
how to make them orthonormal??

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the Gram-Schmidt orthogonalization process- that's what it's for. Since you want the orthonormal basis to include v1 and v2, start in the middle of the process- You already have v1 and v2, so find a new vector, based on v3 that is orthogonal to both v1 and v2 and normalize it. Then find a fourth vector, using the Gram-Schmidt process on v4 that is orthogonal to those three and normalize it.
Check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gram–Schmidt_process

did i create correctly an orthogonal basis R^4 ??

is is correct to say that in order to make them to orthonormal basis
i need to divide each each coordinate of a give vector
by the normal of this specific vector

??

transgalactic said:
i got these vectors which are othronormal
v1 (1/2,-1/2,1/2,-1/2)
v2 (-1/2,1/2,1/2,-1/2)

i need to compete them into orthonormal basis
i did row reduction on them
and added these independant vectors to the group
v3(1,0,0,0)
v4(0,1,0,0)

now all four vectors are independant (orthogonal)
how to make them orthonormal??

These vectors might be linearly independent (I haven't checked), but they are definitely not orthogonal. Do you know what it means for two vectors to be orthogonal?

So no, you don't have an orthogonal set. Halls has told you what you need to do to get an orthogonal set. Once you have the orthogonal set, just divide each vector by its magnitude to get unit vectors.

orthogonal means that the inner product of two vectors equal 0
v1 and v2 are orthogonal to each other
-1/4-1/4+1/4+1/4=0

and so is v2 to v3
so you are correct
but if i will do the gram shmidet process then they are going to be orthogonal to each other.
to make them to orthonormal basis
i need to divide each each coordinate of a give vector
by the normal of this specific vector

??
(i heard that there are many versions to the gram shmidt formula)
which one makes them only orthogonal

which one makes them only orthonormal??

Both Mark44 and I have answered that: One you have found two new vectors v2 and v3 so that all four vectors are orthogonal to one another, divide each by its length to "normalize" them.

1. What is a complete orthonormal basis?

A complete orthonormal basis is a set of vectors that span an entire vector space and are all mutually orthogonal (perpendicular) and have a magnitude of 1. This means that any vector in the space can be written as a unique combination of these basis vectors.

2. Why is a complete orthonormal basis important in mathematics?

A complete orthonormal basis is important because it provides a way to represent any vector in a vector space in a unique and simple way. This is especially useful in linear algebra and other areas of mathematics where vector spaces are commonly used.

3. How is a complete orthonormal basis different from a regular basis?

A complete orthonormal basis is different from a regular basis in that it is not only a set of vectors that span the vector space, but it also has the added properties of being mutually orthogonal and having a magnitude of 1. This makes it a more specialized and useful type of basis.

4. How do you find a complete orthonormal basis for a vector space?

To find a complete orthonormal basis for a vector space, you can use the Gram-Schmidt process. This involves starting with a regular basis for the space and then using orthogonalization and normalization techniques to transform it into an orthonormal basis.

5. What are some applications of a complete orthonormal basis?

A complete orthonormal basis has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is commonly used in solving systems of linear equations, representing quantum states in quantum mechanics, and in signal processing and data analysis. It is also used in computer graphics to represent rotations and transformations in 3D space.