Complex Analysis-Analytic Continuation

• Thread starter WannaBe22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complex
In summary: When z approaches a from the upper half plane, f(a) will be the same as f(z) since they are analytic and agree on (-1,2). However, when z approaches a from the lower half plane, f(a) will be different than f(z) since f(a)=-f(z) and gets a negative real value near a.
WannaBe22

Homework Statement

A function f is analytic in the whole complex plane beside 4 poles.
We know that -1,2,1+5i are poles of f and that f gets only real values in (-1,2).

Find the fourth pole of f and show that f is a real-valued function for every real z which isn't a pole.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried using the symmetry principle but without any success..

Help is needed

Thanks !

Physics news on Phys.org
What symmetry principle did you try to apply and in what way didn't you succeed?

The symmetry principle I've tried using is:
Let [tex] R_1 [/tex] be a region located in one side of the real axis and let's assume that the open segment L of the axis is a part of the boundary of [tex] R_1 [/tex].
Let [tex] f_1 [/tex] be an analytic function in [tex] R_1 [/tex] , continuous in [tex] R_1 U L [/tex] and gets real values in L. Let [tex] R_2 [/tex] be the symmetric region of [tex] R_1 [/tex] according the real axis. If we'll look at the region [tex] R=R_1 U L U R_2 [/tex] and we'll define a function f by:
f(z) = [tex] f_1(z) [/tex] when z is in R1UL and
f(z) = [tex] \bar{ f_1(\bar{ z } ) } [/tex]
then f is analytic in R.

I've tried defining "a" to be the fourth pole and looking at L={(x,0) | -1<=x<=2 } ... I can't figure out how to continue from this point... It's obviously the goal of this question, but I'm pretty much stuck...

Hope you'll be able to help me

Thanks !

Take your f in the symmetry principle to be the original f restricted to the upper half plane. What can you say about the behavior of the extended function near the complex conjugate of 1+5i?

Well... By the symmetry principle I've quoted above we know that:
[tex] 1-5i = \barf(1+5i) [/tex] , and for that reason, 1-5i is a pole of the new extanded function... But because f is analytic, we know that [tex] \barf(\barz) = f(z) [/tex] in the lower half plane, and for that reason-1-5i is also a pole of our f...

As for the second part of the question-
We can look at [tex] \Omega = C - (1-5i,1+5i,-1,2) [/tex] , then both f and
[tex] \bar f (\bar z ) [/tex] are analytic in [tex] \Omega [/tex] and agree on (-1,2).
Hence by the identity theorem we can deduce that they are the same in the whole plane, which means that f gets real-values in the real-axis...

Am I right?

Thanks !

WannaBe22 said:
Well... By the symmetry principle I've quoted above we know that:
[tex] 1-5i = \barf(1+5i) [/tex] , and for that reason, 1-5i is a pole of the new extanded function... But because f is analytic, we know that [tex] \barf(\barz) = f(z) [/tex] in the lower half plane, and for that reason-1-5i is also a pole of our f...

As for the second part of the question-
We can look at [tex] \Omega = C - (1-5i,1+5i,-1,2) [/tex] , then both f and
[tex] \bar f (\bar z ) [/tex] are analytic in [tex] \Omega [/tex] and agree on (-1,2).
Hence by the identity theorem we can deduce that they are the same in the whole plane, which means that f gets real-values in the real-axis...

Am I right?

Thanks !

Some of your texing isn't coming out right, like /barf but yes, if 1+5i is a pole the 1-5i must also be a pole. To show f(a) must be real if a is real, let z approach a from the upper and lower half planes and consider the limits of your two functions. What does that tell you about f(a)?

Thanks a lot :)

1. What is Complex Analysis-Analytic Continuation?

Complex Analysis-Analytic Continuation is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and behavior of complex numbers and functions. It involves the study of the complex plane, which is a two-dimensional space consisting of real and imaginary numbers, and the development of methods to extend the domain of a given complex function beyond its initial region of definition.

2. Why is Analytic Continuation important?

Analytic Continuation is important because it allows us to extend the domain of a complex function and study its behavior in regions where it was previously undefined. This can lead to a deeper understanding of the function and its properties, and can also help in solving complex mathematical problems that involve these functions.

3. What is the process of Analytic Continuation?

The process of Analytic Continuation involves taking a complex function defined in a certain region and finding a way to extend it to another region in a smooth and consistent manner. This is usually done by finding a series representation of the function and using it to define the function in the new region.

4. What are some real-world applications of Analytic Continuation?

Analytic Continuation has many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. For example, it is used in quantum mechanics to solve problems involving complex potentials, in electromagnetism to study the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, and in fluid dynamics to analyze the flow of fluids around curves and corners.

5. Are there any challenges associated with Analytic Continuation?

Yes, there are several challenges associated with Analytic Continuation. One of the main challenges is finding a suitable series representation of the function, as this can be a complex and time-consuming task. Additionally, the extension of a function may not always be unique, leading to multiple possible continuations with different properties.