Complex conjugate of a pole is a pole?

In summary, the conversation discusses the properties of a complex function with two singular points, r and its complex conjugate r*, and whether or not r* is also a simple pole of f. The conversation also mentions the function f(z)=1/(z^2-a^2) as an example of a function with poles at z=±a. The participants also discuss the relationship between r and its complex conjugate in terms of being roots of a polynomial with real coefficients.
docnet
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Relevant Equations
This isn't a homework problem, but a more general question.

Let ##f## be a function with two singular points ##r## and its complex conjugate ##r^*##.

let
$$f=\frac{g}{z-r} \quad \text{and assume} \quad g(r)\neq 0$$
so ##r## is a simple pole of ##f##.

we have conjugates that are singular points of ##f##,
can we say that ##r^*## is also a simple pole of ##f## because it is a complex conjugate of ##r##? if so, what property of complex functions can we invoke to avoid doing the same calculations for ##r^*##?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why are you defining u?? But OK
The function $$f(z)=\frac 1 {z^2-a^2} $$ has poles at $$z=\pm a $$ This is a characteristic of the function and is not generally true.

• Love
Likes Keith_McClary and docnet
. -r is not the complex conjugate of r in most cases.

And I think ##f=\frac{1}{(z-1)(z+1)^2}## satisfies your post but does not have a simple pole at both roots.

• Love
Likes docnet
docnet said:
can we say ##-r## is also a simple pole of ##f## because it is a complex conjugate of ##r##?
##-r## is not the complex conjugate of ##r## unless ##r## is purely imaginary.
docnet said:
if so, what property of complex functions can we invoke to avoid doing the same calculations for ##-r##?
If ##g(z)## is a polynomial with real coefficients and ##r## is a root, then ##\bar {r}## is also a root.

PS. I assume that you are using '##r##' to designate a root rather than a real

• Love
Likes docnet
No. If you insist -r is the complex conjugate of r then r is imaginary, so let's say ##r=i##. Then consider
##f(z)=\frac{1}{(z-i)(z+i)^2}##

• Love
Likes docnet
that makes sense. sorry, think i was confusing this with the case of real valued functions always having complex valued roots in conjugate pairs. my brain is not working its best tdaoy

Likes hutchphd

1. What is a complex conjugate?

A complex conjugate is a pair of complex numbers with the same real part but opposite imaginary parts. For example, the complex conjugate of 3+4i is 3-4i.

2. What is a pole in complex analysis?

In complex analysis, a pole is a point where a function becomes infinite or undefined. It is similar to a singularity in calculus.

3. Why is the complex conjugate of a pole also a pole?

This is because the complex conjugate of a pole has the same real part as the original pole, which means it is also a point where the function becomes infinite or undefined.

4. How does the complex conjugate of a pole affect the behavior of a function?

The complex conjugate of a pole has a similar effect as the original pole on the function. It can cause the function to have a singularity or a point of discontinuity.

5. Can a complex conjugate of a pole exist without the original pole?

No, the complex conjugate of a pole always exists as a result of the original pole. They are always a pair and cannot exist independently.