Complex Analysis and Analytic Functions

In summary, f(z) is less than or equal to |e^z| when |z|<1 and f(0)=i. If f(0)=i, then f(z)=ie^z for all z with |z| less than or equal to 1.
bballife1508
Let f be analytic for |z| less than or equal to 1 and suppose that |f(z)| less than or equal to |e^z| when |z|=1. Show

(a)|f(z)| less than or equal to |e^z| when |z|<1

and

(b)If f(0)=i, then f(z)=ie^z for all z with |z| less than or equal to 1

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think about the problem?

I honestly have no idea where to even start.

Well i don't even know what combinatorics is so can you help me understand the algebraic way?

This has nothing to do with combinatorics. What theorems have you learned in complex analysis that deal with inequalities that involve values of a holomorphic function on the boundary?

holomorphic function?

Yeah don't worry about that, the words holomorphic and analytic are interchangeable (roughly, complex differentiability of f is equivalent to f having a local power series representation). The point is you need to look through your textbook or notes for one or two particular theorems that deal with this exact situation described in the problem.

for part (a) I am given a hint to consider f(z)/e^z... Do you know what I can do with this?

Well, it might simplify things a little. The idea is to consider the modulus of that, but this alone doesn't get you very far (unless there is an easy way to work from first principles that I'm overlooking...). So you already know Liouville, what other big theorems have you learned in complex?

I'm pretty sure we covered just about all there is, cauchy liouville, morera, green

Hmm okay, well my hint for that one problem where I asked you to look through your post history was Cauchy's inequalities, and you might be able to apply that here, barring any oversights on my part (I've never used it before in this capacity, but at the moment I don't see why not). Have you heard of the maximum modulus principle or Schwarz's lemma before?

yes we covered that in class, the maximum modulus

Okay, I'm going to leave you to think about this for a bit, as I've suggested a few approaches. The maximum modulus principle implies something specific about where the maximum of an analytic function is obtained (look this up if you need to). Try to use this in combination with the hint.

the maximum must be on the boundary correct?

Yes, now define [itex]g(z) = f(z)/e^z[/itex] as suggested in the hint. The hypothesis tells us [itex]|f(z)| \leq |e^z|[/itex] when |z| = R. So what is |g(z)| less than or equal to on |z| = R? You really need to think through this, and figure out why part a) is related to the fact that the maximum of an analytic function is on the boundary. Explain as much as you have figured out before asking a question, because you will get points on the final for doing that.

|g(z)| should be less than or equal to 1 since |f(z)| is less than or equal to |e^z|

Yes, now part a) asks why [itex]|g(z)| \leq 1 [/itex] on |z| < 1, given that we already know it holds on |z| = 1. Geometrically, what region is |z| < 1? |z| = 1? What is the boundary here?

g(z) is also analytic so it too achieves its maximum on the boundary which would mean that g(z) is less than or equal to 1 inside as well which proves that |f(z)| is less than or equal to |e^z| inside... I'm not sure if this is correct, but i feel like I'm on the right track

the boundary is the unit circle

a little help with part b) would be great. i understand why it is true but do not know exactly what to say about it.

1. What is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of complex numbers and their functions. It is a powerful tool for solving problems in physics, engineering, and other fields, and it has applications in areas such as signal processing, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics.

2. What are analytic functions?

Analytic functions are complex functions that can be represented by a convergent power series. They are infinitely differentiable in a region and satisfy the Cauchy-Riemann equations, which are a set of conditions for a function to be differentiable at a point in the complex plane.

3. What is the Cauchy integral theorem?

The Cauchy integral theorem is a fundamental result in complex analysis that states that if a function is analytic in a closed region, then the integral of the function around any closed contour in that region is equal to 0. This theorem is important for evaluating integrals of complex functions and has many applications in physics and engineering.

4. What is the residue theorem?

The residue theorem is a powerful tool in complex analysis that allows for the evaluation of certain types of integrals using the residues (singularities) of a function. It states that the integral of a function around a closed contour is equal to 2πi times the sum of the residues inside the contour. This theorem has many applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics.

5. What are the applications of complex analysis?

Complex analysis has many applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is used to solve problems involving electric and magnetic fields, fluid flow, signal processing, and quantum mechanics. It is also used in the development of computer algorithms and in the study of fractals and chaos theory.