• Thread starter docnet
  • Start date
docnet
Homework Statement:
Relevant Equations:
Screen Shot 2021-12-23 at 1.50.36 PM.png

False

The reasoning for answer:

The absolute value function is is not analytic wherever its argument equals zero. ##f## is not analytic at ##z=0## so it is not entire.

Answers and Replies

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
Homework Statement:: .
Relevant Equations:: .

View attachment 294651

False

The reasoning for answer:

The absolute value function is is not analytic wherever its argument equals zero. ##f## is not analytic at ##z=0## so it is not entire.
That's a fairly significant logical fallacy!

In general, if ##f(z) = f_1(z) + f_2(z)##, then even if ##f_1## and ##f_2## are not analytic, their sum may be. Intuitively, the non-analytic behaviour of ##f_1## and ##f_2## may cancel each other out in some way.

• Informative
Likes docnet and S.G. Janssens
S.G. Janssens
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
What can you say about the zeros of ##f## in the complex plane?

docnet
That's a fairly significant logical fallacy!

In general, if ##f(z) = f_1(z) + f_2(z)##, then even if ##f_1## and ##f_2## are not analytic, their sum may be. Intuitively, the non-analytic behaviour of ##f_1## and ##f_2## may cancel each other out in some way.
really? that is surprising to me.

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
Take as an example: $$f(z) = z = Re(z) +iIm(z)$$ is the sum of two non-analytic functions!

docnet
What can you say about the zeros of ##f## in the complex plane?
the zeroes of ##f## are given by $$|z|^2=2zRe(z)$$
the left size is real valued, so the right side has to be real valued. The equation ##x^2=2x^2## has no solutions other than ##x=0##, so the zero of ##f## is ##z=0##.

Infrared
Science Advisor
Gold Member
You have one thing a bit backwards: ##z=0## is actually the only point where ##|z|^2## is complex differentiable. You can verify this from the Cauchy Riemann equations.

And anyway, a function ##f## being (not) differentiable at a point doesn't mean the same is true for ##f+g.##

For your function, you can also write it in real and imaginary parts and see whether the Cauchy-Riemann equations hold.

Edit: Apologies, while I was writing this, several posts appeared that i didn't notice!

docnet
Take as an example: $$f(z) = z = Re(z) +iIm(z)$$ is the sum of two non-analytic functions!
okay.. that makes sense

docnet
You have one thing a bit backwards: ##z=0## is actually the only point where ##|z|^2## is complex differentiable. You can verify this from the Cauchy Riemann equations.

And anyway, a function ##f## being (not) differentiable at a point doesn't mean the same is true for ##f+g.##

For your function, you can also write it in real and imaginary parts and see whether the Cauchy-Riemann equations hold.
How do you tell the real and imaginary parts of ##z## in the absolute value function? this is what I wanted to do, compute the Cauchy Riemann equations, but the absolute value function confused me.

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
okay.. that makes sense
You know what I'm going to say ... you did the same thing again! You jumped at an easy, one-line proof, that you didn't seriously question. You must be able to fully justify each step you take.

Developing your maths skills means developing the ability to find the example I gave in post #5.

docnet
How do you tell the real and imaginary parts of ##z## in the absolute value function? this is what I wanted to do, compute the Cauchy Riemann equations, but the absolute value function confused me.
Oh gosh.. I forgot that the absolute value function has a formal definition ##|z|=\sqrt{z\bar{z}}##. I'm so sorry @PeroK

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
The absolute value is real, it has no imaginary part.

Infrared
Science Advisor
Gold Member
How do you tell the real and imaginary parts of in the value funciton? this is what I wanted to do, compute the Cauchy Riemann equations, but the absolute value funciton confused me.
You would write ##z=x+iy## (so ##\text{Re}(z)=x## and ##|z|^2=x^2+y^2##).

• Informative
Likes docnet and PeroK
docnet
$$f=|z|^2-2zRe(z)=x^2+y^2-2(x+iy)x$$
$$=(y^2-x^2)-i(2xy)$$
$$v_x=-2x=u_y$$
$$-v_y=-2y=u_x$$
so ##f=|z|^2-2zRe(z)## satisfies the Cauchy Riemann equations and so it's entire.

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
so ##f=|z|^2-2zRe(z)## satisfies the Cauchy Riemann equations and so it's entire.
Would you believe it!

docnet
There goes my dreams for a Ph.D in maths, smashed to granules.

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
There goes my dreams for a Ph.D in maths, smashed to granules.
You'd certainly bash out a PhD thesis quickly enough. Whether it would be defensible is another matter! :smile:

Suggested for: True or false? |z|^2 is an entire function

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views