1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Analysis Clarification Question

1. Jul 18, 2015 #1

RJLiberator

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Problem and solution found here: http://homepages.math.uic.edu/~dcabrera/math417/summer2008/section57_59.pdf

The question I am interested in is #1. In the solution, the instructor differentiates the series to get to:
    2/(1-z)^3 = the series.

If I want the Maclaurin series of the function 1/(1-z)^3 then I would have to divide both sides here by 2.
    Is this correct or am I missing something hidden? I ask because I believe the question asked for the series 1/(1-z)^3 and not the series of 2/(1-z)^3. So this may have been a mistake on the solutions.

2. Relevant equations
    Not available for this type of question. All information given.

3. The attempt at a solution
    PDF

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2015 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That is correct.

Unless you can tell us exactly what the question asked for, we have no way to know. It may simply be that the instructor left the last step out since he knew you would realize that it just involved the division by 2.

4. Jul 18, 2015 #3

RJLiberator

Gold Member

Excellent, thank you for the clarification. I assumed that to be the case, but I've seen some pretty tricky things with series so far and wanted to be sure.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted