Complex Analysis Clarification Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to question #1 from a given problem. The instructor differentiates the series and obtains 2/(1-z)^3, leading to the question of whether the Maclaurin series for 1/(1-z)^3 would require dividing both sides by 2. The other person confirms that this is correct and speculates that the instructor may have left out the last step since it is a simple division by 2.
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Problem and solution found here: http://homepages.math.uic.edu/~dcabrera/math417/summer2008/section57_59.pdf

The question I am interested in is #1. In the solution, the instructor differentiates the series to get to:
2/(1-z)^3 = the series.

If I want the Maclaurin series of the function 1/(1-z)^3 then I would have to divide both sides here by 2.
Is this correct or am I missing something hidden? I ask because I believe the question asked for the series 1/(1-z)^3 and not the series of 2/(1-z)^3. So this may have been a mistake on the solutions.

Homework Equations

Not available for this type of question. All information given.

The Attempt at a Solution

PDF

Physics news on Phys.org
RJLiberator said:
If I want the Maclaurin series of the function 1/(1-z)^3 then I would have to divide both sides here by 2.
Is this correct or am I missing something hidden?

That is correct.

I ask because I believe the question asked for the series 1/(1-z)^3 and not the series of 2/(1-z)^3. So this may have been a mistake on the solutions.

Unless you can tell us exactly what the question asked for, we have no way to know. It may simply be that the instructor left the last step out since he knew you would realize that it just involved the division by 2.

Likes RJLiberator
Excellent, thank you for the clarification. I assumed that to be the case, but I've seen some pretty tricky things with series so far and wanted to be sure.

1. What is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of complex numbers and their functions. It involves the manipulation and exploration of complex numbers using algebraic, geometric, and analytic techniques.

2. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that have both a real and an imaginary part. They are expressed in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (√-1).

3. How is complex analysis different from real analysis?

Complex analysis and real analysis are both branches of mathematics that deal with functions. However, complex analysis focuses on functions of complex variables, while real analysis deals with functions of real variables. Complex analysis also involves the use of techniques such as differentiation, integration, and power series, which are not applicable in the real numbers.

4. What are some applications of complex analysis?

Complex analysis has many applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to solve problems related to electric circuits, fluid dynamics, and signal processing, among others. It is also used in the study of complex systems and in the development of computer algorithms.

5. Is complex analysis difficult to learn?

Like any branch of mathematics, complex analysis can be challenging to learn, but it is also a very rewarding field. It requires a strong foundation in algebra, calculus, and mathematical proofs. With dedication and practice, anyone can learn the fundamentals of complex analysis and apply it to real-world problems.