Continue solutions of ODEs around the origin

psie
Homework Statement
Solve the following equations when ##z## is real and positive. How will the solutions change if continued one revolution around the origin in the positive direction? a) ##2zx'-x=0## and b) ##z^2x'+x=0##.
Relevant Equations
By "continued one revolution around the origin", they basically mean evaluate ##x(ze^{2\pi i})##.
What confuses me is that my solution differs from that given in the answers at the back of the book.

Solving the ODEs is fairly simple. They are both separable. After rearrangement and simplification, you arrive at ##x(z)=Cz^{1/2}## for a) and ##x(z)=De^{1/z}## for b). In both solutions, ##C## and ##D## are positive constants.

Then I'm asked to evaluate ##x(ze^{2\pi i})## and a TA claims that ##x(ze^{2\pi i})=C(ze^{2\pi i})^{1/2}=Cz^{1/2}e^{\pi i}=-Cz^{1/2}## for a) and that ##x(ze^{2\pi i})=De^{1/(ze^{2\pi i})}=De^{1/z}## for b). This is also the answer given in the back of the book. I agree for b), but for a), why isn't it true that ##x(ze^{2\pi i})=C(ze^{2\pi i})^{1/2}=C(z\cdot1)^{1/2}=Cz^{1/2}##?

Edit: This problem appears in a section on differential equations with singular points, i.e. where the matrix ##A(z)## in the corresponding system ##x'(z)=A(z)x(z)## has a singularity.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Which branch of the square root are you using? In the principal branch, [itex]\arg z \in (-\pi, \pi][/itex] and [itex]\arg z^{1/2} = \frac12 \arg z \in (-\pi/2, \pi/2][/itex] so that [itex]\operatorname{Re}(z^{1/2}) \geq 0[/itex]. However, in the branch in which [itex]\arg z \in (\pi, 3\pi][/itex] then [itex]\arg z^{1/2} = \frac12 \arg z \in (\pi/2, 3\pi/2][/itex] so that [itex]\operatorname{Re}(z^{1/2}) \leq 0[/itex]. [itex]e^{0i}[/itex] is not in this branch, but [itex]e^{2\pi i}[/itex] is.

In both cases, [itex]\sqrt{re^{i\theta}} = r^{1/2}e^{i\theta/2}[/itex] with [itex]r^{1/2} \geq 0[/itex].

Likes psie
Right, a branch...I forgot! I guess the book uses the latter branch, i.e. for which ##\arg z \in (\pi, 3\pi]##, since they input a real positive number and get a negative positive number. It makes more sense now. Thank you.

What are continue solutions of ODEs around the origin?

Continued solutions of ODEs around the origin refer to finding solutions to ordinary differential equations that are valid in the neighborhood of the origin. These solutions are typically represented as power series expansions.

Why is it important to study continue solutions of ODEs around the origin?

Studying continued solutions of ODEs around the origin is important because it allows us to analyze the behavior of the system near a critical point. This analysis can provide insights into the stability and dynamics of the system.

How are continued solutions of ODEs around the origin calculated?

Continued solutions of ODEs around the origin are typically calculated using techniques such as Taylor series expansions or Frobenius series. These methods involve expressing the solution as a power series and determining the coefficients by solving a system of equations.

What are some applications of continued solutions of ODEs around the origin?

Continued solutions of ODEs around the origin are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and biology to analyze the behavior of dynamical systems. They can help predict the stability of equilibrium points and understand the overall behavior of the system.

Are continued solutions of ODEs around the origin always valid?

No, continued solutions of ODEs around the origin are only valid in a certain neighborhood of the origin. Outside of this region, the power series expansion may not accurately represent the behavior of the system. It is important to consider the domain of validity when using continued solutions.