1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Analysis - Finding the equation of a circle

1. Mar 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If [itex]\frac{z}{z + 3}[/itex] is purely imaginary, show that z lies on a certain circle and find the equation of that circle.

3. The attempt at a solution

So,

[itex]\frac{z}{z + 3}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{x + iy}{x + iy + 3}[/itex]

Multiplying by the complex conjugate (and simplifying), we get,

[itex]\frac{x^{2} + y^{2} + 3x + 3iy}{x^{2} + y^{2} + 6x + 9}[/itex]

Since we're only interested in the imaginary part here, I take,

[itex]\frac{3iy}{x^{2} + 6x + 9 + y^{2}}[/itex]

I am not too sure what to do from here, also...does "z lies on a certain circle" mean on the boundary line or anywhere in that enclosed zone including the boundary?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2012 #2
    You're not "only interested in the imaginary part". You are told z/(z+3) is pure imaginary; this means the real part is zero. That's probably where you want to start.

A circle is the set of points equidistant from its center; the circle does not include its interior. So "on a circle" means on the curvy line.

4. Mar 18, 2012 #3
    So if the real part is going to be zero, it means the numerator can only be zero. From that we can get an equation for a circle, which I believe is (x + [itex]\frac{3}{2}[/itex])[itex]^{2}[/itex] + [itex]y^{2}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{9}{4}[/itex] - but is this the circle I'm looking for?

If so, why am I getting an equation for a circle from the real part, when the expression in question is supposedly purely imaginary?

5. Mar 18, 2012 #4
    It's _because_ the expression is pure imaginary that the real part is zero, which gives you the equation you are after.

6. Mar 19, 2012 #5
    Ah I see, that makes it more clear now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook