1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Analysis: Harmonic Conjugates

1. Aug 22, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For [tex]u(x,y)=e^{-y}(x\sin(x)+y\cos(x))[/tex] find a harmonic conjugate [tex]v(x,y)[/tex] and express the analytic function [tex]f=u +iv[/tex] as a function of z alone (where [tex]z=x+iy[/tex]0

2. Relevant equations
    The Cauchy Riemann equations [tex]u_x=v_y[/tex] and [tex]u_y=-v_x[/tex]
    and possibly:
    [tex]sin(x) = \frac{e^{ix}-e^{-ix}}{2i}[/tex]
    [tex]cos(x) = \frac{e^{ix}+e^{-ix}}{2}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've been toying around with algebra and I've been able to reduce up to [tex]u=\frac {e^{-y+ix}(y-ix)+e^{-y-ix}(y+ix)}{2}[/tex] but I can't get past here. I have also noted that if I divide by i, u(x,y) becomes u(y,-x) so I can replace these variables and I have [tex] u/i = e^{x}(y\sin(y)-x\cos(y)[/tex] which is, as someone on another forum pointed out, the real part of [tex]-ze^{z}[/tex]. So I suppose I could write [tex]f=Re(-ze^{iz})i + iv[/tex] no?
    But how should I go about finding v? I am familiar with the straightforward procedure of finding u_x, integrating w.r.t v, then finding v_x and setting it equal to u_y... but I can't seem to simplify u to the point of easy differentiation. I don't know if I should just try to brute force it, or if that's even possible. It seems like u should simplify more.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2010 #2

Science Advisor

I would not change the sine and cosine to exponentials, although you certainly can do so.

With [itex]v(x,y)= e^{-y}(x sin(x)- y cos(x))[/itex], [itex]v_x= e^{-y}(sin(x)+ y cos(x))+ y sin(x))[/itex] and [itex]v_y= -e^{-y}(x sin(x)- y cos(x))+ e^{-y}(-cos(x))[/itex]

Now you must find u(x,y) such that
    [tex]u_x= v_y= -e^{-y}(x sin(x)- y cos(x))+ e^{-y}(-cos(x))[/tex]
    [tex]u_y= -v_x= -e^{-y}(sin(x)+ y cos(x))- y sin(x))[/itex]

Integrate either of those equations with respect to the appropriate variable, remembering that the "constant" of integration may be a function of the other variable, then put that into the other equation to find that function.
  4. Aug 22, 2010 #3
    Great. I guess the integration wasn't as bad as I thought. Your algebra is a bit off because you wrote down a different u(x,y) than I had.

Using [tex]u(x,y)=e^{-y}(x\sin(x)+y\cos(x)[/tex] I came up with
    v(x,y) = e^{-y}(ysin(x)-xcos(x)).

Now my question is how to put this in terms of z only. I think I have a THM I can use: http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/IdentityTheoremOfHolomorphicFunctions.html" [Broken]. So if I have f(u,v) = e^{-y}(xsin(x)+ycos(x) +i(e^{-y}(ysin(x)-xcos(x)) can I say that some function g(z) is equal to f(z) along the iy axis of the complex plane (i.e. where x=o). Then f(z)=g(z) for all complex numbers. So f(z)=g(0+iy) ---> f(z)=ye^{-y}?

Sorry about the formatting, Latex is giving me trouble.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook