1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Analysis Integral by Substitution

1. Dec 8, 2011 #1
    Im trying to take the integral, using substitution, of [tex]\int_0^1\frac{2\pi i[cos(2\pi t) + isin(2\pi t)]dt}{cos(2\pi t)+isin(2\pi t)}[/tex]

So I set [tex]u=cos(2\pi t)+isin(2\pi t)[/tex][tex]du=2\pi i[cos(2\pi t) + isin(2\pi t)]dt[/tex]

Yet when I change the endpoints of the integral I get from 1 to 1, which doesn't make sense. Since the fraction is equal to 2πi I could just take the integral directly and get 2πi, yet for some reason doing it by substitution gives me 0. This integral was a pull back from the integral of 1/z around a closed curve, so it seems that for some reason by doing the u-du substitution the integral "forgets" that there is a singularity on the interior of the curve, what is going on here?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2011 #2
    Setting [itex]u=\cos(2\pi t)+i\sin(2\pi t)[/itex] for [itex]0\leq t\leq 1[/itex] changes the path of integration from a straight line over the real axis to a closed contour about the origin with radius one. So your integral is equivalent to:

[tex]\mathop\oint\limits_{|u|=1} \frac{du}{u}=2\pi i[/tex]

4. Dec 8, 2011 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

And the endpoints of the integration of du/u are 1 and 1. But that doesn't mean the integral is zero. The antiderivative of 1/u is log(u) and that's multivalued. You can't just insert the limits without considering the path.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook