Complex Analysis Integral by Substitution

In summary, the conversation discusses taking the integral of a complex function using substitution and the resulting confusion when the endpoints of the integral are changed. The integral is equivalent to a closed contour integral around the origin and the antiderivative of 1/u is multivalued, leading to the discrepancy in the results.
Poopsilon
Im trying to take the integral, using substitution, of [tex]\int_0^1\frac{2\pi i[cos(2\pi t) + isin(2\pi t)]dt}{cos(2\pi t)+isin(2\pi t)}[/tex]

So I set [tex]u=cos(2\pi t)+isin(2\pi t)[/tex][tex]du=2\pi i[cos(2\pi t) + isin(2\pi t)]dt[/tex]

Yet when I change the endpoints of the integral I get from 1 to 1, which doesn't make sense. Since the fraction is equal to 2πi I could just take the integral directly and get 2πi, yet for some reason doing it by substitution gives me 0. This integral was a pull back from the integral of 1/z around a closed curve, so it seems that for some reason by doing the u-du substitution the integral "forgets" that there is a singularity on the interior of the curve, what is going on here?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Poopsilon said:
Im trying to take the integral, using substitution, of [tex]\int_0^1\frac{2\pi i[cos(2\pi t) + isin(2\pi t)]dt}{cos(2\pi t)+isin(2\pi t)}[/tex]

So I set [tex]u=cos(2\pi t)+isin(2\pi t)[/tex][tex]du=2\pi i[cos(2\pi t) + isin(2\pi t)]dt[/tex]

Yet when I change the endpoints of the integral I get from 1 to 1, which doesn't make sense. Since the fraction is equal to 2πi I could just take the integral directly and get 2πi, yet for some reason doing it by substitution gives me 0. This integral was a pull back from the integral of 1/z around a closed curve, so it seems that for some reason by doing the u-du substitution the integral "forgets" that there is a singularity on the interior of the curve, what is going on here?

Setting [itex]u=\cos(2\pi t)+i\sin(2\pi t)[/itex] for [itex]0\leq t\leq 1[/itex] changes the path of integration from a straight line over the real axis to a closed contour about the origin with radius one. So your integral is equivalent to:

[tex]\mathop\oint\limits_{|u|=1} \frac{du}{u}=2\pi i[/tex]

And the endpoints of the integration of du/u are 1 and 1. But that doesn't mean the integral is zero. The antiderivative of 1/u is log(u) and that's multivalued. You can't just insert the limits without considering the path.

What is Complex Analysis Integral by Substitution?

Complex Analysis Integral by Substitution is a technique used in mathematics to simplify the evaluation of complex integrals by substituting a complex variable with a simpler one. This allows for easier integration and computation of complex functions.

How does Substitution work in Complex Analysis Integral?

In Complex Analysis Integral, substitution involves replacing a complex variable with another variable that has a simpler form. This new variable is chosen in such a way that it transforms the original complex integral into a simpler one that can be easily evaluated.

What are the benefits of using Substitution in Complex Analysis Integral?

Substitution in Complex Analysis Integral allows for the evaluation of complex integrals that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to solve. It also helps to simplify the integration process and make it more manageable.

Are there any limitations to using Substitution in Complex Analysis Integral?

While Substitution can be a useful technique in simplifying complex integrals, it may not always be applicable. There are certain integrals that cannot be evaluated using Substitution, or the substitution may not lead to an easier integral to solve.

Can Substitution be used in all types of complex integrals?

No, Substitution is not always applicable in complex integrals. It is most commonly used in integrals involving rational functions, trigonometric functions, and exponential functions. It may not be useful in integrals involving logarithmic or algebraic functions.