Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex analysis - prerequisites?

1. Jan 15, 2010 #1
    Hello,
    I'm thinking of starting a course in Complex analysis and I'm curious, could one start the course without a deep understanding of analysis of several variables? I know how to do curve integrals and such, partial derivatives, double integrals and all that. What prerequisites are there?
    /gramsci

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2010 #2
    You would be well served to understand the role of epsilon-delta definitions in calculus, probably from a basic course in real analysis. That said, with enough commitment and a lot of hard work, I see no reason why you couldn't jump straight to complex analysis.

4. Jan 16, 2010 #3

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree with rochfor1. Check out the textbook by Saff & Snider. It's very easy compared to a typical introductory course in real analysis.

5. Jan 16, 2010 #4
    If you took calculus of one variable you are OK - provided that the course did proofs.
    Most complex analysis courses teach you how to take line integrals and prove all of the theorems such as Green's theorem that you will need. They also teach you point set topology.

The real ingredient is knowing how to follow and do proofs. But you can learn this too.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook