Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Analysis proof question (from Markushevich text))

1. Jan 2, 2012 #1
    There is a proof offered in the text "Theory of Functions of a Complex Variable" by Markushevich that I have a question about. Some of the definitions are a bit esoteric since it is an older book. Here "domain" is an open connected set (in [itex]\mathbb{C}[/itex], in this case.)
    The proof that [itex]f(\gamma)\subseteq \Gamma[/itex] is clear to me. For the opposite containment, they offer the following proof:
    My question is about the part marked with an asterisk. How do we know that [itex]z_{n}[/itex] has a convergent subsequence? If [itex]\{z_n\}[/itex] were bounded, then I see that we would have this result by the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem. Also if we were working in the extended complex plane, then compactness of [itex]\tilde{\mathbb{C}}[/itex] would give us this result. But here, I don't see any indication that either [itex]G[/itex] or [itex]f(G)[/itex] is bounded, so I don't see how we have this.

Just reading this again, it strikes me that perhaps we can bound [itex]\{z_n\}[/itex] by the continuity of the inverse function [itex]f^{-1}[/itex]. But I don't see that this continuity is assumed, so I'm not sure.

Thanks for any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2012 #2
    On second thought, I think the proof works as long as we suppose that we're working in the extended complex plane.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook