sbashrawi Messages 49 Reaction score 0 Thread starter Mar 28, 2010 #1 Homework Statement Let gama be a closed curve and f be analytic function. Show that the integration of f(z)f' dz is puerly imaginary Homework Equations The Attempt at a Solution
Homework Statement Let gama be a closed curve and f be analytic function. Show that the integration of f(z)f' dz is puerly imaginary Homework Equations The Attempt at a Solution
Eynstone Messages 335 Reaction score 0 Mar 30, 2010 #2 Welcome sbashrawi, As f(z)f'(z) = (1/2) d/dz f^2 , Cauchy's formula shows that what you claim is invalid unless gamma encircles some poles of f with real residues at them.
Welcome sbashrawi, As f(z)f'(z) = (1/2) d/dz f^2 , Cauchy's formula shows that what you claim is invalid unless gamma encircles some poles of f with real residues at them.
sbashrawi Messages 49 Reaction score 0 Mar 30, 2010 #3 Thank you very much I am sorry the true statement is that : integration of ( conjugate of f ) * f' *dz is purely imaginary. I tried to prove it using the winding number but I couldn't
Thank you very much I am sorry the true statement is that : integration of ( conjugate of f ) * f' *dz is purely imaginary. I tried to prove it using the winding number but I couldn't
Count Iblis Messages 1,859 Reaction score 8 Mar 30, 2010 #4 Take the real part of the integral expression by adding the complex conjugate.
sbashrawi Messages 49 Reaction score 0 Mar 30, 2010 #5 Hi here is what I did: integ(conj(f)*f'dz) = integr( f + conj(f))*f'dz which implies integ [ conj(f) - 2 Re(f)] * f' dz = 0 letting f = u + iv , then the expression will be integ[ -u -iv] * f' dz = 0 then I couldn't find how it is purely imaginary from this step
Hi here is what I did: integ(conj(f)*f'dz) = integr( f + conj(f))*f'dz which implies integ [ conj(f) - 2 Re(f)] * f' dz = 0 letting f = u + iv , then the expression will be integ[ -u -iv] * f' dz = 0 then I couldn't find how it is purely imaginary from this step
Count Iblis Messages 1,859 Reaction score 8 Mar 31, 2010 #6 integr( f + conj(f))*f'dz = integr (2Re(f))*f'dz = integr[(2 u) (du + i dv)] = 2i integr u dv