1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex analysis showing solutions are inside or outside R

1. Apr 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose w is not in the interval [-R,R] show that the equation z+[itex]\frac{R^{2}}{z}[/itex]=2w has one solution z with |z|<R and one solution z with |z|>R

2. Relevant equations

none

3. The attempt at a solution

the book mentions that the quadratic is left unchanged by the substitution of [itex]\frac{R^{2}}{z}[/itex] for z which I understand.

It then goes on to say that because of this, the two roots z[itex]_{1}[/itex] and z[itex]_{2}[/itex]are related by z[itex]_{1}[/itex]z[itex]_{2}[/itex]=R[itex]^{2}[/itex] which is where I get lost..

any help is appreciated. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Write your equation as z^2-2wz+R^2=0. If there are two roots z1 and z2 then it factors into (z-z1)(z-z2)=0. Multiply that back out and equate it to the original equation.

4. Apr 8, 2012 #3
    ahh ok.. can't believe I missed that. now the book says that because z1z2=R^2 the roots lie on opposite sides of the circle |z|=R. Why is this? i'm assuming they mean inside the circle and outside the circle when they say opposite sides.. And my guess would be that z1z2 = R^2 when z1=z2=R or if z1 is larger than R and z2 is smaller than R or vice versa. The latter meaning that z1 is inside the circle and z2 is outside. The first would mean that the roots lie on the circle|z|=R?

5. Apr 8, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

|z1|*|z2|=R^2. So if |z1|<R, |z2|>R. That's the easy case. You are done. Now suppose |z1|=|z2|=R. To eliminate that possibility you'd better say something about w.

6. Apr 9, 2012 #5
    so for |z1|=|z2|=R, w would have to be in [-R,R] but this possibility was eliminated in the statement of the problem. So then the only possibility is for |z1|<R and |z2|>R or vice versa.

7. Apr 9, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How did you show w would need to be in [-R,R]?

8. Apr 9, 2012 #7
    because for |z1|=|z2|=R would mean that (z-w)[itex]^{2}[/itex]=z[itex]^{2}[/itex]-2zw+w[itex]^{2}[/itex]=z[itex]^{2}[/itex]-2zw+R[itex]^{2}[/itex] so w[itex]^{2}[/itex]=R[itex]^{2}[/itex] and w=R which is in [-R,R]

9. Apr 9, 2012 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why should (z-w)^2=z^2-2zw+R^2??? Your conclusion that w^2=R^2 is false. If you think harder about it you should be able to figure out the w is related to the sum of the roots z1 and z2, just like R^2 is related to the product of the roots.

10. Apr 9, 2012 #9
    z1z2 must = R^2 and -z1-z2 must = -2w so z1+z2=2w now since |z1|=|z2|=R we have that R+R=2R=2w meaning R=w and R is in [-R,R]

11. Apr 9, 2012 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, z1*z2=R^2 and z1+z2=2w. And yes, assume |z1|=|z2|=R. The rest of that doesn't make sense. w doesn't have to equal R.

12. Apr 9, 2012 #11
    I thought if |z1|=|z2|=R then 2w=|z1|+|z2|=R+R=2R

13. Apr 9, 2012 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That doesn't work. Pick z1=iR and z2=(-iR). That makes w=0.

14. Apr 9, 2012 #13
    ok.. so I know that z1*z2=R^2 and z1+z2=2w. And |z1|=|z2|=R I am just unsure of how to conclude that w is in [-R,R]...

thanks for your patience with this, its just not clicking.

15. Apr 9, 2012 #14

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can you convince me that z1 and z2 are complex conjugates of each other?

16. Apr 9, 2012 #15
    could we say that since z1*z2=R^2 and R is a real number, that z1 and z2 have to be of the form (a+ib)(c-id) to eliminate the imaginary parts and since we are saying that |z1|=|z2|=R we know that a=c and b=d in the equation so z1 and z2 must be complex conjugates.

17. Apr 9, 2012 #16

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's not at all convincing. What must z1 and z2 look like in polar form?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook