Complex analysis showing solutions are inside or outside R

In summary: Could you please provide an example of z1 and z2 being complex conjugates?Can you please provide an example of z1 and z2 being complex conjugates?
d2j2003

Homework Statement

Suppose w is not in the interval [-R,R] show that the equation z+[itex]\frac{R^{2}}{z}[/itex]=2w has one solution z with |z|<R and one solution z with |z|>R

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

the book mentions that the quadratic is left unchanged by the substitution of [itex]\frac{R^{2}}{z}[/itex] for z which I understand.

It then goes on to say that because of this, the two roots z[itex]_{1}[/itex] and z[itex]_{2}[/itex]are related by z[itex]_{1}[/itex]z[itex]_{2}[/itex]=R[itex]^{2}[/itex] which is where I get lost..

any help is appreciated. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Write your equation as z^2-2wz+R^2=0. If there are two roots z1 and z2 then it factors into (z-z1)(z-z2)=0. Multiply that back out and equate it to the original equation.

ahh ok.. can't believe I missed that. now the book says that because z1z2=R^2 the roots lie on opposite sides of the circle |z|=R. Why is this? I'm assuming they mean inside the circle and outside the circle when they say opposite sides.. And my guess would be that z1z2 = R^2 when z1=z2=R or if z1 is larger than R and z2 is smaller than R or vice versa. The latter meaning that z1 is inside the circle and z2 is outside. The first would mean that the roots lie on the circle|z|=R?

d2j2003 said:
ahh ok.. can't believe I missed that. now the book says that because z1z2=R^2 the roots lie on opposite sides of the circle |z|=R. Why is this? I'm assuming they mean inside the circle and outside the circle when they say opposite sides.. And my guess would be that z1z2 = R^2 when z1=z2=R or if z1 is larger than R and z2 is smaller than R or vice versa. The latter meaning that z1 is inside the circle and z2 is outside. The first would mean that the roots lie on the circle|z|=R?

|z1|*|z2|=R^2. So if |z1|<R, |z2|>R. That's the easy case. You are done. Now suppose |z1|=|z2|=R. To eliminate that possibility you'd better say something about w.

so for |z1|=|z2|=R, w would have to be in [-R,R] but this possibility was eliminated in the statement of the problem. So then the only possibility is for |z1|<R and |z2|>R or vice versa.

d2j2003 said:
so for |z1|=|z2|=R, w would have to be in [-R,R] but this possibility was eliminated in the statement of the problem. So then the only possibility is for |z1|<R and |z2|>R or vice versa.

How did you show w would need to be in [-R,R]?

because for |z1|=|z2|=R would mean that (z-w)[itex]^{2}[/itex]=z[itex]^{2}[/itex]-2zw+w[itex]^{2}[/itex]=z[itex]^{2}[/itex]-2zw+R[itex]^{2}[/itex] so w[itex]^{2}[/itex]=R[itex]^{2}[/itex] and w=R which is in [-R,R]

d2j2003 said:
because for |z1|=|z2|=R would mean that (z-w)[itex]^{2}[/itex]=z[itex]^{2}[/itex]-2zw+w[itex]^{2}[/itex]=z[itex]^{2}[/itex]-2zw+R[itex]^{2}[/itex] so w[itex]^{2}[/itex]=R[itex]^{2}[/itex] and w=R which is in [-R,R]

Why should (z-w)^2=z^2-2zw+R^2? Your conclusion that w^2=R^2 is false. If you think harder about it you should be able to figure out the w is related to the sum of the roots z1 and z2, just like R^2 is related to the product of the roots.

z1z2 must = R^2 and -z1-z2 must = -2w so z1+z2=2w now since |z1|=|z2|=R we have that R+R=2R=2w meaning R=w and R is in [-R,R]

d2j2003 said:
z1z2 must = R^2 and -z1-z2 must = -2w so z1+z2=2w now since |z1|=|z2|=R we have that R+R=2R=2w meaning R=w and R is in [-R,R]

Yes, z1*z2=R^2 and z1+z2=2w. And yes, assume |z1|=|z2|=R. The rest of that doesn't make sense. w doesn't have to equal R.

I thought if |z1|=|z2|=R then 2w=|z1|+|z2|=R+R=2R

d2j2003 said:
I thought if |z1|=|z2|=R then 2w=|z1|+|z2|=R+R=2R

That doesn't work. Pick z1=iR and z2=(-iR). That makes w=0.

ok.. so I know that z1*z2=R^2 and z1+z2=2w. And |z1|=|z2|=R I am just unsure of how to conclude that w is in [-R,R]...

thanks for your patience with this, its just not clicking.

d2j2003 said:
ok.. so I know that z1*z2=R^2 and z1+z2=2w. And |z1|=|z2|=R I am just unsure of how to conclude that w is in [-R,R]...

thanks for your patience with this, its just not clicking.

Can you convince me that z1 and z2 are complex conjugates of each other?

could we say that since z1*z2=R^2 and R is a real number, that z1 and z2 have to be of the form (a+ib)(c-id) to eliminate the imaginary parts and since we are saying that |z1|=|z2|=R we know that a=c and b=d in the equation so z1 and z2 must be complex conjugates.

d2j2003 said:
could we say that since z1*z2=R^2 and R is a real number, that z1 and z2 have to be of the form (a+ib)(c-id) to eliminate the imaginary parts and since we are saying that |z1|=|z2|=R we know that a=c and b=d in the equation so z1 and z2 must be complex conjugates.

That's not at all convincing. What must z1 and z2 look like in polar form?

1. What is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of complex numbers and their functions. It involves the use of calculus and algebra to analyze the properties of these numbers and their interactions with other mathematical concepts.

2. How are solutions determined to be inside or outside of R?

The set R in complex analysis refers to the set of real numbers. To determine if a solution is inside or outside of R, we look at the imaginary component of the complex number. If the imaginary component is equal to 0, then the solution is inside R. If the imaginary component is not equal to 0, then the solution is outside of R.

3. What are the key principles of complex analysis?

The key principles of complex analysis include the Cauchy-Riemann equations, the Cauchy integral theorem, and the Cauchy integral formula. These principles help us understand the behavior of complex functions and their solutions.

4. How is complex analysis used in other fields of science?

Complex analysis is used in a variety of fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. In physics, it is used to study fluid dynamics, electrostatics, and quantum mechanics. In engineering, it is used to analyze electrical circuits and signal processing. In economics, it is used to model financial markets and economic systems.

5. What are some real-world applications of complex analysis?

Complex analysis has many real-world applications such as in the design of electrical circuits, the analysis of fluid flow, and the development of mathematical models for financial markets. It is also used in image and signal processing, and in studying the behavior of systems in biology and chemistry.