1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex analysis: Sketch the region in the complex plane

1. Mar 4, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Sketch:
    {z: [itex]\pi[/itex]?4 < Arg z ≤ [itex]\pi[/itex]}

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Is it right to assume

z0 = 0 ; a = a (radius = a) ; and taking [itex]\alpha[/itex] = [itex]\pi[/itex]/4 ; [itex]\beta[/itex] = [itex]\pi[/itex]

And now in order to sketch the problem after setting up the complex plane is it correct to to plot z0 at the origin and then from the origin plot [itex]\pi[/itex]/4 by rotating to the right in a clockwise rotation for [itex]\pi[/itex]/4 radians for the first condition and then rotating [itex]\pi[/itex] to the left from the origin (anti-clockwise rotation) for the second condition and then using a solid or dashed line according to the strictly < or ≤ conditions and this gives me the correct region?

Basically I am confused as to how to rotate the angle in terms of clockwise or anti-clockwise according to the conditions given.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2012 #2
    And I am also unsure if my radius is in fact a or am I missing an important step?

4. Mar 4, 2012 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Rubik! :smile:

do you mean {z: [itex]\pi[/itex]/4 < Arg z ≤ [itex]\pi[/itex]} ?
    no, everything is always anti-clockwise

i'm worried why you thought it wasn't :confused:

(and i don't understand where radius comes into it)

5. Mar 4, 2012 #4
    Oops yep I meant [itex]\pi[/itex]/4.. I was worried asking it haha it has been a long time since I have had to work with complex numbers.. Another thing I have just come across is the region {z : |z - 3 + i| < 4} Does this mean that z0 = (-3,i), and the radius = 4?

6. Mar 4, 2012 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

no, the centre is 3 - i

7. Mar 4, 2012 #6
    With the first part from your first reply I said radius = a because I am trying to sketch the particular region covered by these angles or is that wrong?

8. Mar 4, 2012 #7

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I still don't understand this at all.

What is a, and what has the radius to do with anything? :confused:

9. Mar 4, 2012 #8
    Well I am not sure I just took it as an assuption.. See if I try and sketch this region I draw both these angles taking them anti-clockwise from the origin, which leaves a region in the 1st and 2nd quadrants and I am just confused as I thought I was suppose to be left with a closed region but is this not the case? I am sorry if this still makes no sense it is hard to explain a drawing in words. :/ So currently I have a line in the direction of [itex]\pi[/itex] going anti-clockwise from (0,0) and then another line in the direction of [itex]\pi[/itex]/4 from (0,0) Is that how the region is suppose to look?

10. Mar 4, 2012 #9

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yup. There's no restriction on |z|, so the region goes to infinity.

Goodnight! :zzz:​

11. Mar 4, 2012 #10
    Oh okay thanks so much for all your help and sticking with me through all my confusion!! I appreciate it :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook