Complex analysis, taylor series, radius of convergence

In summary, the radius of convergence for the taylor series is 1, and to find the laurent series, you need to factor the denominator and use the geometric sum formula.
nugget

Homework Statement

For f(z) = 1/(1+z^2)

a) find the taylor series centred at the origin and the radius of convergence.

b)find the laurent series for the annulus centred at the origin with inner radius given by the r.o.c. from part a), and an arbitrarily large outer radius.

Homework Equations

for a) (sum from j = 0 to infinity)

f(z) = [itex]\Sigma[/itex] [(f[itex]^{j}[/itex](0))[itex]\div[/itex](j!)] [itex]\times[/itex] z[itex]^{j}[/itex]

for b) laurent series formula?

The Attempt at a Solution

From what I understand, the radius of convergence is from Zo (in this case, the origin) to the closest point where f(z) isn't analytic. f(z) isn't analytic at i or -i. This function is a circle, discontinuous at i and -i. So, by inspection(?), the r.o.c. should be 1.

I don't get how to input the information I have into the formula for a). I think that in understanding this, finding the laurent series should be simplified.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Indeed, the radius of convergence is 1.

To find the Taylor/Laurent series; I suggest you factor the denominator first and split into partial fractions. Then you should use

[tex]\frac{1}{1-z}=1+z+z^3+z^4+...[/tex]

for |z|<1.

You CAN find the taylor series of f(z) by taking derivatives and putting z=0, as you said. But the easy way is the use the geometric sum formula 1/(1-u)=1+u+u^2+... What should u be?

Hey guys,

Thanks for your help, but I'm still confused. I have found f(z) = 1/(z+i)(z-i) and I think I've found the partial fractions representation:

f(z) = 1/2i(z-i) - 1/2i(z+i)

but don't know where to go from here... do I seperately apply taylor series expansion to each of these fractions...?

nugget said:
Hey guys,

Thanks for your help, but I'm still confused. I have found f(z) = 1/(z+i)(z-i) and I think I've found the partial fractions representation:

f(z) = 1/2i(z-i) - 1/2i(z+i)

but don't know where to go from here... do I seperately apply taylor series expansion to each of these fractions...?

Yes, that's the idea. Let me do an example

[tex]\frac{1}{z-2} = -\frac{1}{2-z} = -\frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{1-\frac{z}{2}} = -\frac{1}{2}\sum_{n=0}^{+\infty} {\left(\frac{z}{2}\right)^2}[/tex]

This is how to find the Laurent/Taylor series of [itex]\frac{1}{z-2}[/itex]. Can you do the same for your two dractions?

I got part a)

I'm fairly confident that the answer is f(z) = ([itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex])0[itex]\sum[/itex][itex]\infty[/itex] ((zj) + (-z)j)/(ij)

(sum from 0 to infinity)

But don't understand how to do laurent series... I think I need to do it for the annulus centered at the origin with radius 1, and then again for the annulus centered at the origin but with arbitrarily large outer radius and inner radius of 1...

Do I need to change the format of this sum? split it into two parts? take out the first few terms? any ideas would be great!

1. What is complex analysis and why is it important?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of complex numbers. It is important because it allows us to understand and analyze functions in the complex plane, which is crucial in many areas of mathematics, physics, and engineering.

2. What is a Taylor series and how is it used in complex analysis?

A Taylor series is a mathematical representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms that are calculated from the values of the function's derivatives at a single point. In complex analysis, Taylor series are used to approximate complex functions and to calculate their values at different points in the complex plane.

3. What is the radius of convergence of a Taylor series?

The radius of convergence of a Taylor series is the distance from the center point to the nearest point where the series is no longer convergent. In other words, it is the maximum distance from the center point at which the Taylor series can still accurately approximate the original function.

4. How do you determine the radius of convergence of a Taylor series?

The radius of convergence can be determined using the ratio test. This involves evaluating the limit of the ratio of consecutive terms in the series. If this limit is less than 1, the series will converge within a certain radius, and if it is greater than 1, the series will diverge.

5. Can the radius of convergence of a Taylor series be infinite?

Yes, the radius of convergence can be infinite if the Taylor series converges for all values of the complex variable. This is known as a power series with infinite radius of convergence, and it is a useful tool in complex analysis for studying functions with infinitely many terms in their series representation.