1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex analysis - the logarithmic function

1. Oct 25, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that the function Log(-z) + i(pi) is a branch of logz analytic in the domain D* consisting of all points in the plane except those on the nonnegative real axis.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that log z: = Log |z| + iArgz + i2k(pi)
    I'm not sure where to start with this question, any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You know Log(z) is analytic except for a branch cut on the negative real axis. That means Log(-z) is analytic except for a branch cut on the positive real axis. So is Log(-z)+i*pi. Now you just have to show that it is a branch of log(z) by showing exp(Log(-z)+i*pi)=z.

4. Oct 25, 2009 #3
    so to show that what i did was...

exp(Log(-z) + i*pi) = exp(Log(-z))exp(i*pi) = (-z) (-1) = z

but.. im still unclear how this shows that Log(-z) + i*pi is a branch of log z.

5. Oct 25, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If g(z) satisfies exp(g(z))=z then it's a branch of log(z). That's what defines log(z). It's an inverse function of exp(z).

6. Oct 25, 2009 #5
    oh ok i see now!
    Thanks a lot!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook