Complex Analysis - Value of Arg[(z-1)/(z+1)] between -pi and pi

In summary: Arg, it is basically just arctan(Im(z)/|z|). Arcsin(Im(z)/|z|)?Pick a piece of Paper. Draw an x-axis and a y-axis on it. Find the point represented by i. Connect i to 0. What is the angle between the line segment that you've drawn and the x-axis?? Just look at... the equation for the Arg, it is basically just arctan(Im(z)/|z|).
cooljosh2k2

Homework Statement

Let Arg(w) denote that value of the argument between -π and π (inclusive). Show
that:

Arg[(z-1)/(z+1)] = { π/2, if Im(z) > 0 or -π/2 ,if Im(z) < 0.

where z is a point on the unit circle ∣z∣= 1

The Attempt at a Solution

First, i know that Arg(w) = arctan(b/a) and that Arg(z/w) = Arg(z) - Arg(w).

So Arg[(z-1)/(z+1)] = Arg(z-1) - Arg(z+1).

But then what do i do? I am stuck here. Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that z is a point of the unit circle. What are its real and imaginary parts? You can find the real and imaginary parts of (z-1)/(z+1) if you multiply both the numerator and denominator with the conjugate of the denominator: z*+1.

ehild

Write [itex]z=a+bi[/itex].

Can you calculate

[tex]\frac{z-1}{z+1}[/tex]

in terms of a and b?? In particular, can you make the denominator real?

micromass said:
Write [itex]z=a+bi[/itex].

Can you calculate

[tex]\frac{z-1}{z+1}[/tex]

in terms of a and b?? In particular, can you make the denominator real?

Is this what I am supposed to do:

(z-1)/(z+1) = (a + bi -1)/(a+bi +1) = (a2 - b2 +2abi -1)/ (a+bi+1)2

Is that right? If so, what do i do next, or if I am wrong, what am i doing wrong?

cooljosh2k2 said:
Is this what I am supposed to do:

(z-1)/(z+1) = (a + bi -1)/(a+bi +1) = (a2 - b2 +2abi -1)/ (a+bi+1)2

Is that right? If so, what do i do next, or if I am wrong, what am i doing wrong?

No, that's not what I get. Just calculate

[tex]\frac{a-1+bi}{a+1+bi}=\frac{(a-1+bi)(a+1-bi)}{(a+1+bi)(a+1-bi)}[/tex]

What do you get??

micromass said:
No, that's not what I get. Just calculate

[tex]\frac{a-1+bi}{a+1+bi}=\frac{(a-1+bi)(a+1-bi)}{(a+1+bi)(a+1-bi)}[/tex]

What do you get??

Ok, i get: (a2+b2+2bi-1)/(a2+b2+2a+1)

Is that right?

Yes, and what is [itex]a^2+b^2[/itex]? (hint: z is on the unit circle).

Can you show that [itex]\frac{z-1}{z+1}[/itex] is purely imaginary?? What are the consequences for the arg?

micromass said:
Yes, and what is [itex]a^2+b^2[/itex]? (hint: z is on the unit circle).

Can you show that [itex]\frac{z-1}{z+1}[/itex] is purely imaginary?? What are the consequences for the arg?

Wow, am i rusty. I am so embarrassed to say that i don't know. I may be wrong, but i think i faintly remember [itex]a^2+b^2[/itex]= 1. But i don't think its right. As for your other questions, i don't know. I am sorry, I am an idiot.

cooljosh2k2 said:
Wow, am i rusty. I am so embarrassed to say that i don't know. I may be wrong, but i think i faintly remember [itex]a^2+b^2[/itex]= 1. But i don't think its right. As for your other questions, i don't know. I am sorry, I am an idiot.

Yes, [itex]a^2+b^2=1[/itex]. So what does that mean for your equation?

micromass said:
Yes, [itex]a^2+b^2=1[/itex]. So what does that mean for your equation?

Wow, I am shocked i remembered that lol. It would equal 2bi/(2a +1).

Thanks for helping me through it btw.

cooljosh2k2 said:
Wow, I am shocked i remembered that lol. It would equal 2bi/(2a +1).

Thanks for helping me through it btw.

OK, so it is

[tex]\frac{2b}{2a+1}i[/tex]

Now calculate the argument. With the arctangent if you prefer.

micromass said:
OK, so it is

[tex]\frac{2b}{2a+1}i[/tex]

Now calculate the argument. With the arctangent if you prefer.

How do i do that with 2b and 2a+1?

Well, what is the argument of

[itex]0+ci[/itex]

?

micromass said:
Well, what is the argument of

[itex]0+ci[/itex]

?

0? My textbook barely even touches on the argument, that's why I am so lost.

Are you still there? I am so confused.

What does your book say that the definition of the Arg is??

micromass said:
What does your book say that the definition of the Arg is??

"Arg z, the argument of z, defined for z ≠ 0, is the angle which the vector (originating
from 0) to z makes with the positive x-axis. Thus Arg z is defined (modulo
2π) as that number θ for which
cos θ = Re z/|z|
; sin θ = I am z/|z| ."

OK, so the arg is the angle that the vector makes with the x-axis. Now, what angle does ci make with the x-axis?

micromass said:
OK, so the arg is the angle that the vector makes with the x-axis. Now, what angle does ci make with the x-axis?

I don't know what "c" is, am i supposed to come up with a number? Does ci = sinθ?

c is just a real number.

What angle does i make with the x-axis?

micromass said:
c is just a real number.

What angle does i make with the x-axis?

I don't know. You make it sound so simple, but I am so confused. I am sorry.

arcsin(Im(z)/|z|)?

Pick a piece of Paper. Draw an x-axis and a y-axis on it. Find the point represented by i. Connect i to 0. What is the angle between the line segment that you've drawn and the x-axis?? Just look at it.

micromass said:
Pick a piece of Paper. Draw an x-axis and a y-axis on it. Find the point represented by i. Connect i to 0. What is the angle between the line segment that you've drawn and the x-axis?? Just look at it.

Isnt i on the y-axis? which would make the angle 0.

What is the angle between the x-axis and the y-axis?

micromass said:
What is the angle between the x-axis and the y-axis?

OMG, i forgot you said in relation to the x axis. 90 degrees. *hits head*

cooljosh2k2 said:
OMG, i forgot you said in relation to the x axis. 90 degrees. *hits head*

or pi/2

Yes!

The argument of i is just the angle between i and the x-axis. So, what is the argument of i??

micromass said:
Yes!

The argument of i is just the angle between i and the x-axis. So, what is the argument of i??

pi/2!

And what is the argument of -i??

micromass said:
And what is the argument of -i??

-pi/2! but how do i go from (2bi)/(2a+1)? do i just ignore the (2b/2a+1)?

OK, now the [itex]\frac{2b}{2a+1}[/itex] is just a real number, so we're dealing with a multiple of i.

So our value could be 3i, 4i, 6i or some other multiple of i. What is the argument of a multiple of i?

micromass said:
OK, now the [itex]\frac{2b}{2a+1}[/itex] is just a real number, so we're dealing with a multiple of i.

So our value could be 3i, 4i, 6i or some other multiple of i. What is the argument of a multiple of i?

pi/2, right?

cooljosh2k2 said:
pi/2, right?

Not really, because we can also have negative multiples. -i and -3i are also multiples.

micromass said:
Not really, because we can also have negative multiples. -i and -3i are also multiples.

well, pi/2 for positive multiples of i or I am > 0, or -pi/2 for negative multiples of i, or I am < 0

Indeed! That's it!

<h2>1. What is complex analysis?</h2><p>Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of complex numbers. It involves the use of complex numbers, which are numbers that have both a real and imaginary component, and their properties to analyze functions and their behavior.</p><h2>2. What is the value of Arg[(z-1)/(z+1)] between -pi and pi?</h2><p>The value of Arg[(z-1)/(z+1)] between -pi and pi is equal to -pi/2. This can be calculated by using the formula Arg(z) = atan2(Im(z), Re(z)), where atan2 is the four-quadrant inverse tangent function.</p><h2>3. How is the value of Arg[(z-1)/(z+1)] affected by the values of z?</h2><p>The value of Arg[(z-1)/(z+1)] is affected by the values of z in the sense that it changes as z moves in the complex plane. For example, if z is a real number, the value of Arg[(z-1)/(z+1)] will be equal to 0. However, as z approaches the point -1 in the complex plane, the value of Arg[(z-1)/(z+1)] will approach -pi/2.</p><h2>4. What is the significance of the value of Arg[(z-1)/(z+1)] between -pi and pi?</h2><p>The value of Arg[(z-1)/(z+1)] between -pi and pi is significant because it represents the angle between the line connecting the points z=1 and z=-1 and the positive real axis. This angle is also known as the argument of the complex number (z-1)/(z+1) and is an important concept in complex analysis.</p><h2>5. How is complex analysis used in real-world applications?</h2><p>Complex analysis has many real-world applications, including in physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to solve problems involving electric circuits, fluid dynamics, and signal processing. It is also used in the study of economic systems and stock market behavior. Additionally, complex analysis is used in the development of computer graphics and in the design of aircraft wings and other complex structures.</p>

1. What is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of complex numbers. It involves the use of complex numbers, which are numbers that have both a real and imaginary component, and their properties to analyze functions and their behavior.

2. What is the value of Arg[(z-1)/(z+1)] between -pi and pi?

The value of Arg[(z-1)/(z+1)] between -pi and pi is equal to -pi/2. This can be calculated by using the formula Arg(z) = atan2(Im(z), Re(z)), where atan2 is the four-quadrant inverse tangent function.

3. How is the value of Arg[(z-1)/(z+1)] affected by the values of z?

The value of Arg[(z-1)/(z+1)] is affected by the values of z in the sense that it changes as z moves in the complex plane. For example, if z is a real number, the value of Arg[(z-1)/(z+1)] will be equal to 0. However, as z approaches the point -1 in the complex plane, the value of Arg[(z-1)/(z+1)] will approach -pi/2.

4. What is the significance of the value of Arg[(z-1)/(z+1)] between -pi and pi?

The value of Arg[(z-1)/(z+1)] between -pi and pi is significant because it represents the angle between the line connecting the points z=1 and z=-1 and the positive real axis. This angle is also known as the argument of the complex number (z-1)/(z+1) and is an important concept in complex analysis.

5. How is complex analysis used in real-world applications?

Complex analysis has many real-world applications, including in physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to solve problems involving electric circuits, fluid dynamics, and signal processing. It is also used in the study of economic systems and stock market behavior. Additionally, complex analysis is used in the development of computer graphics and in the design of aircraft wings and other complex structures.