1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving that a subspace of C is a field

1. Sep 10, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that the only m for which the subspace of C given by {z ∈ C: Im(z) = m Re(z)} is a field is m=0.
    2. Relevant equations
    Field axioms
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to prove one direction :
    - If z is in the subspace, Re z>0 and m≠0 then Arg z<Arg z^2, so z^2 is not in the subspace.
    I need a hint to prove the other direction.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2015 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

No. For example, z = -1 -mi is in C, but Re(z) < 0. Note that for a given value of m, C is a straight line through the origin. Which field axioms prevent this subspace from being a field?

4. Sep 10, 2015 #3

RUber

Homework Helper

An element of the subspace z would have the form z = x + imx, with x in the reals.
    As Mark mentioned, you should check the axioms, it seems like this space satisfies most of the addition axioms. I think you were on the right track with squaring z. Using z^2 as an example, you can show that the only m that satisfies multiplication axioms (for any choice of x and a fixed m) is 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted