1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex arithmetic/Geo Series proof

1. Jan 27, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Applications from multiple-slit diffraction involve sums like the following. Prove that:

[tex]\sum^{N-1}_{n=0}[/tex] cos (nx) = [tex]\frac{sin(N(x/2))}{sin(x/2)}[/tex] * cos((N-1)x/2)

2. Relevant equations

According to my instructions, this should involve only algebraic manipulations

Also there is this hint:

Use the geometric series formula:

[tex]\sum^{M}_{n=0}[/tex] r[tex]^{n}[/tex]= [tex]\frac{1-r^{M+1}}{1-r}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Once again, I apologize for the poor use of Latex. I hope the equation is easily understood. This problem comes from the complex arithmetic section of my book. I originally followed a lot of different trig identity paths until I re-read the part about using only algebraic manipulations.

If possible, I would like a small shove past the hint. I'm not asking for a complete proof here, only a little more light in the right direction. Thanks for taking the time to read.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

cos(nx) is the real part of exp(inx). So the sum of cos(nx) is the real part of the sum of exp(ix)^n. The exponential form is a geometric series.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook