Complex Conjugates in Quadratic Equations: Solving for z

In summary, the conversation discusses solving the equation z^{*2}=4z, where z* is the complex conjugate, for z=a+ib. The attempt at a solution involved writing z and z* in terms of x and iy and equating the real and imaginary parts. After solving for x and y, the solution was found to be in the polar form.
cragar

Homework Statement

Solve each equation for z=a+ib
[itex] z^{*2}=4z [/itex]
where z* is the complex conjugate

The Attempt at a Solution

I wrote z and z* in terms of x and iy , and tried solving for x and y, but I get quartic terms for y, it doesn't look like it will boil down, It was like over 2 pages of algera, I don't think that is how it is supposed to be done, I tired some alternative forms of the modulus and it didnt go anywhere, Are my approaches the right way, or do I need some clever substitution, or can it be solved with Eulers formula ?

Physics news on Phys.org
cragar said:

Homework Statement

[itex] z^{*2}=4z [/itex]

I wrote z and z* in terms of x and iy , and tried solving for x and y, but I get quartic terms for y, it doesn't look like it will boil down, It was like over 2 pages of algera, I don't think that is how it is supposed to be done, I tired some alternative forms of the modulus and it didnt go anywhere, Are my approaches the right way, or do I need some clever substitution, or can it be solved with Eulers formula ?

Show us the equations in x and y that you actually get. What you are claiming sounds wrong to me.

Likes berkeman
cragar said:

Homework Statement

[itex] z^{*2}=4z [/itex]

If z = a + bi, then ##\bar{z} = a - bi##
If I substitute these into the given equation, I don't get a quartic, but I do get a solution fairly quickly. Please show what you did.

Likes berkeman
I would automatically use the polar form here.

Likes Buffu
PeroK said:
I would automatically use the polar form here.
That's a possibility, but it isn't necessary here.

oh ok I think I got it
sub in x+iy and x-iy
then equate real and imaginary
Real = [itex] x^2+y^2=4x [/itex]
I am = [itex] -2xy=4y [/itex]
I solved for x then put it in the other equation, then I solved for y,
and I got the answer in the back of the book, thanks for your posts

1. What is the complex plane in algebra?

The complex plane is a mathematical concept used in algebra to represent complex numbers. It is a two-dimensional plane where the horizontal axis represents the real numbers and the vertical axis represents the imaginary numbers. The complex plane is also known as the Argand plane or the Gauss plane.

2. How are complex numbers represented in the complex plane?

Complex numbers are represented as points in the complex plane. The real part of the complex number is the distance along the horizontal axis, while the imaginary part is the distance along the vertical axis. For example, the complex number 3+4i would be represented as the point (3,4) in the complex plane.

3. What are the operations that can be performed on complex numbers in the complex plane?

In the complex plane, complex numbers can be added, subtracted, multiplied, and divided. These operations follow the same rules as in regular algebra, with the addition of using the imaginary unit i (where i^2 = -1) to represent the imaginary part of the complex number.

4. How is the modulus of a complex number calculated in the complex plane?

The modulus of a complex number is the distance from the origin (0,0) to the point representing the complex number in the complex plane. It can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the modulus is the square root of the sum of the squares of the real and imaginary parts of the complex number.

5. What is the geometric interpretation of complex numbers in the complex plane?

In the complex plane, complex numbers can be interpreted as vectors with a magnitude (modulus) and direction. Addition of complex numbers can be represented as vector addition, and multiplication of complex numbers can be represented as scalar multiplication and rotation of vectors.