1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Derivatives from frist principles

1. Sep 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

How to prove theres a derivative from first principles?

1/ [ z*sin(z)*cos(z) ]

z = complex = x + jy

It gets very completed.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Indeed, it gets very complicated. Sure you CAN prove it. Work out u(x,y) and v(x,y) and show they satisfy Cauchy-Riemann. That's equivalent to complex differentiability. But that's just silly. It's a colossal amount of work. z, cos(z) and sin(z) are differentiable. Show they are differentiable from first principles. Then just use the quotient rule and the product rule. Haven't we talked about this in another thread??

4. Sep 2, 2009 #3
    hi ya, thanks.
    I've been trying and it just gets too complicated... :P
    I've already proofed Cauchy Riemann for the denominator successfully - 2 pages long though.

Now i take the term alone and apply first prinicpes - just too COMPLEX. (well, i'll just state theorem as you mentioned - 'give up' heex).

Anyway, you've been a great help. :)

one more:-
    sin (2z) / (z^15)

what is the location and nature of singularities here?

my answer is-
    Answer: z=0 of order 15? (means 1 pole right? we always look at denominator alone?)

5. Sep 2, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, you don't just look at the denominator alone. E.g. z/z doesn't have a pole singularity. Expand the numerator in powers of z.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook