Calculating Modulus and Argument of a Complex Number | Homework Question

The modulus is the distance from the origin to z-1, and the argument is the angle made with the positive real axis.In summary, To determine the modulus and argument of z-1, where z = cis @ and @ is acute, you can use the formulas √(x² + y²) for modulus and tan-1(y/x) for argument. However, it may be easier to understand pictorially by drawing a graph of z-1 in the complex plane. The modulus is the distance from the origin to z-1, and the argument is the angle made with the positive real axis.
385sk117

Homework Statement

If z = cis @ where @ is acute, determine the modulus and argument of z-1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

As the moudlus of z is 1 z lies on the unit circle. And I can not think of anything more. I drew a graph to see how z-1 seems like in graph and stucked.
Help me please!

Physics news on Phys.org
The modulus of x + iy is √(x² + y²) and the argument is tan-1(y/x). Draw the vector in the complex plane to see why.

That I know; but this thing is little different from the normal quetions where the number is multiplied to z such as -z, 2z etc which i can use that formula but here i think i should know some angles and shape of graph
I saw the answer and it was
moduls = 2 sin (@/2) argument = (@/2) + (pi/2)

It's possible to do using just the formulas I wrote, but it's easier to do pictorially. Look at the attachment:

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/86/picqrv.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow i also drew some similar graph but couldn't understand what to do with that but by drawing the line at the middle everything become clear.
Thankyou so much!

No problem.

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that consist of a real part and an imaginary part. They are written in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit equal to the square root of -1.

2. How do you add and subtract complex numbers?

To add or subtract complex numbers, you simply combine the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. For example, (3 + 4i) + (2 + 5i) = (3 + 2) + (4 + 5)i = 5 + 9i.

3. How do you multiply and divide complex numbers?

To multiply complex numbers, you use the distributive property and the fact that i^2 = -1. For example, (3 + 4i)(2 + 5i) = 6 + 15i + 8i + 20i^2 = (6 - 20) + (15 + 8)i = -14 + 23i. To divide complex numbers, you use the conjugate of the denominator to rationalize the denominator and then simplify as needed.

4. What is the complex conjugate?

The complex conjugate of a complex number a + bi is a - bi. It is used in dividing complex numbers and in finding the absolute value of a complex number.

5. How are complex numbers used in real life?

Complex numbers are used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and finance. They are used to represent alternating current in electronics, solve differential equations in engineering, and model stock market fluctuations in finance.