Complex numbers and vector multiplies continued

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between complex numbers and vector multiplication, with one participant trying to treat the complex number as a vector and derive the product using dot and cross products. However, it is noted that while the magnitudes can be represented in this way, the concept of angles in complex multiplication cannot be replicated in vector multiplication. It is also mentioned that historically, the origins of dot and cross products can be traced back to the quaternions, which are 4-dimensional complex numbers.
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Your assertion doesn't make sense. The "real" part is a number but the "imaginary" part is a vector.

I have no idea what you mean by "complex multiplication of A and B".

pwsnafu said:
I have no idea what you mean by "complex multiplication of A and B".
Multiplication of two complex numbers, A and B.

He is trying to treat the complex number, a+ bi, as a vector <a, b> and derive the product of two complex numbers using a combination of dot product and cross product. The product (a+ bi)(c+ di) is [itex]a^2- b^2+ (ad+ bc)i[/itex] so he wants a way to "multiply" <a, b> and <c, d> to get [itex]<a^2- b^2, ad+ bc>[/itex].

HallsofIvy said:
He is trying to treat the complex number, a+ bi, as a vector <a, b> and derive the product of two complex numbers using a combination of dot product and cross product. The product (a+ bi)(c+ di) is [itex]a^2- b^2+ (ad+ bc)i[/itex] so he wants a way to "multiply" <a, b> and <c, d> to get [itex]<a^2- b^2, ad+ bc>[/itex].
|ad+bc| = |AxB|, but there is no way to get the sign from the cross product.
The real part is ac-bd, while A.B = ac+bd.

The standard way is to represent a complex number ##a+ib## as a ##2\times 2## matrix
$$\left(\begin{array}{cc} a & - b \\ b & a \end{array}\right), $$
so you then just read the real and imaginary part off the first column.
The matrix multiplication then agrees with the multiplication of complex numbers.
Note that in this representation
$$1\sim \left(\begin{array}{cc} 1 & -0 \\ 0 & 1 \end{array}\right), \qquad
i\sim \left(\begin{array}{cc} 0 & -1 \\ 1 & 0 \end{array}\right).$$

Yes, you're right. Complex multiplication DOES include both the dot product and cross product, under a suitable interpretation of the cross product. But there's a correction/clarification to be made:

conj(A) B = (a - ib)(c + id) = ac + bd + (ad-bc)i = A dot B +- |A cross B| i

Notice that it's the MAGNITUDE of A cross B, so it's a number, with the sign determined by whether it's up or down out of the plane. In the plane, you're not really losing any information from the cross product because there's a canonical direction it will be in, perpendicular to the plane (with up or down determined by the sign).

I'm not sure I would say he was "right" because his logic seems to be that since complex numbers can be interpreted as vectors and there are "only" two ways to multiply vectors, they must somehow be the same as dot products and cross products. That argument makes no sense. It is confusing the fact that there are only two ways to multiply vectors that are most commonly used with the fact that there only exist two ways of multiplying vectors. There are actually tons of different ways of multiplying different vectors, depending on what you mean by multiplication. If you put some restrictions on what you mean by multiplication, you could narrow it down a bit, although I'm not quite sure how to characterize it exactly (it depends on what dimension the vectors are in as well). The cross product is already a very weird and somewhat nasty form of "multiplication", being non-associative, so if you are going to include the cross product, you aren't going to be able to demand that "multiplication" means something that nice and well-behaved. Someone else might know a better way to frame it than I do, though. Anyway, his logic is a bit off, but it does happen that he's partly right.

Historically, the origins of the dot product and cross product are in the quaternions, which can be thought of as 4-dimensional complex numbers. There's a similar relationship between quaternion multiplication and the dot and cross products. So, what you've observed with complex numbers is a manifestation of this because complex numbers are a subset of the quaternions.

Visual Complex Analysis explains all this in detail.

Hawkeye18 said:
The standard way is to represent a complex number ##a+ib## as a ##2\times 2## matrix
$$\left(\begin{array}{cc} a & - b \\ b & a \end{array}\right), $$
so you then just read the real and imaginary part off the first column.
The matrix multiplication then agrees with the multiplication of complex numbers.
Note that in this representation
$$1\sim \left(\begin{array}{cc} 1 & -0 \\ 0 & 1 \end{array}\right), \qquad
i\sim \left(\begin{array}{cc} 0 & -1 \\ 1 & 0 \end{array}\right).$$

Nice point; notice too, that every analytic complex map can be described like this; this just uses the Jacobian and the Cauchy-Riemann equations.

Last edited:
I don't think that the two can be considered equivalent. A fundamental concept in multiplication of complex numbers is that their angles are added. The only information about angles in vector multiplication is the difference between the vector directions. There is no way to look at vector dot or cross products and determine the sum of the vector angles. The difference is fundamental and insurmountable.

I don't think that the two can be considered equivalent. A fundamental concept in multiplication of complex numbers is that their angles are added. The only information about angles in vector multiplication is the difference between the vector directions. There is no way to look at vector dot or cross products and determine the sum of the vector angles. The difference is fundamental and insurmountable.

With a little tweak, it's not insurmountable, as I explained. Subtraction is a special case of addition. So, when you conjugate one of the complex numbers, you reverse one of the angles, so you are now dealing with the difference between the angles. So, with that tweak, as I showed, the real and imaginary parts do give you both the dot product and cross product. The catch is that it's complex multiplication plus conjugating one of the numbers (or, in other words, the complex inner product on C), not just complex multiplication alone.

homeomorphic said:
With a little tweak, it's not insurmountable, as I explained. Subtraction is a special case of addition. So, when you conjugate one of the complex numbers, you reverse one of the angles, so you are now dealing with the difference between the angles. So, with that tweak, as I showed, the real and imaginary parts do give you both the dot product and cross product. The catch is that it's complex multiplication plus conjugating one of the numbers (or, in other words, the complex inner product on C), not just complex multiplication alone.

Once you use conjugation you loose analyticity; not the end of the world, but it happens.

Once you use conjugation you loose analyticity; not the end of the world, but it happens.

True. I don't think the OP would be bothered by that, though! lol

For that reason, the connection with vector products and quaternions isn't really a complex analysis issue--it's more of a complex arithmetic issue. Doesn't mean it's not enlightening. Sheds some light on quaternions, dot products, cross products, complex inner products and how they all related to each other. It's a good story to pursue if you want to understand quaternions better.

homeomorphic said:
So, when you conjugate one of the complex numbers, you reverse one of the angles, so you are now dealing with the difference between the angles.
Of course. You are right.

It can be approached using Linar Algebra

[itex] z=a+ib=[a,b] \ \ \ w=c+id=[c,d] \\ z.w=(a+ib).(c+id)=ac+iad+ibc-bd=ac-bd+i(ad+bc) \\ =\begin{pmatrix} ac-bd\\ad+bc \end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix} c &-d \\d &c \end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix} a\\b \end{pmatrix}\\ =[a,b]\bigodot [c,d]\\ Rot(z,\pi/2)=\begin{pmatrix} 0 &-1 \\ 1 & 0 \end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix} a\\b \end{pmatrix}=i.z=[0,1]\bigodot [a,b]
[/itex]
The [itex]\bigodot[/itex] is a vector product that is equivalent to multiplication of complex numbers (represented as 2-tuples)

Moreover, the angles add. Consider the polar forms: [itex] \\ z=[cos\theta_1 , sin\theta_1] \ \ \ w=[cos\theta_2,sin\theta_2] \\ z.w=[cos\theta_1 , sin\theta_1]\bigodot[cos\theta_2,sin\theta_2]\\ =\begin{pmatrix} cos\theta_2 &-sin\theta_2 \\ sin\theta_2 &cos\theta_2 \end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix} cos\theta_1\\ sin\theta_1 \end{pmatrix}\\ =\begin{pmatrix} cos(\theta_1+\theta_2)\\ sin(\theta_1+\theta_2) \end{pmatrix} [/itex]

Reference https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...tor-multiplies-continued.773049/#post-5083048

1. What are complex numbers and vector multiplies continued?

Complex numbers are numbers that have both a real and an imaginary component. They are typically represented in the form of a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part. Vector multiplies continued refer to the continued multiplication of complex numbers or vectors, where the product of each multiplication becomes the input for the next multiplication.

2. How are complex numbers and vector multiplies continued used in science?

Complex numbers and vector multiplies continued are used in various scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer science. They are particularly useful in representing and analyzing systems with both real and imaginary components, such as alternating current circuits, quantum mechanics, and signal processing.

3. Can you give an example of a complex number and vector multiplies continued in a scientific context?

A simple example in physics would be the analysis of an alternating current (AC) circuit. The voltage and current in an AC circuit are represented by complex numbers, and the multiplication of these complex numbers represents the power in the circuit. This continued multiplication of complex numbers can then be used to analyze and predict the behavior of the circuit.

4. What are the properties of complex numbers and vector multiplies continued?

Complex numbers and vector multiplies continued have several important properties, including the commutative, associative, and distributive properties. They also have a conjugate property, where the product of a complex number and its conjugate is always a real number. Additionally, the product of two complex numbers is also a complex number.

5. Are there any real-world applications of complex numbers and vector multiplies continued?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of complex numbers and vector multiplies continued. In addition to their use in physics and engineering, they are also used in computer graphics and image processing. They are also used in financial modeling, where complex numbers are used to analyze and predict stock market trends.