Complex Numbers - Number of Solutions

In summary: What you need to do is figure out the coordinates of the four points and then draw them on a graph. You should find that they form a parallelogram with vertices at $(3,0)$, $(2,3)$, $(3,1)$, and $(2,4)$.
Lancelot1
Hiya all,

I need your assistance with the following problem:

A) Show that the equation

\[z^{2}+i\bar{z}=(-2)\]

has only two imaginary solutions.

B) If Z1 and Z2 are the solutions, draw a rectangle which has the following vertices:

Z1+3 , Z2+3 , Z1+i , Z2+i

I do not know how to even start. Should I try to write Z as a+bi ? Please help (Doh)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Lancelot said:
A) Show that the equation
\[z^{2}+i\bar{z}=(-2)\]
has only two imaginary solutions.

B) If Z1 and Z2 are the solutions, draw a rectangle which has the following vertices:

Z1+3 , Z2+3 , Z1+i , Z2+i

I do not know how to even start. Should I try to write Z as a+bi ?
Yes, write $z = a+ib$. Then the equation becomes $(a+ib)^2 + i(a-ib) + 2 = 0.$ Now remember that if a complex number is zero then its real and imaginary parts must both be zero. That will give you two equations for the real numbers $a$ and $b$, and you should find that there are just two solutions.

I don't know what to say about part B), because as far as I can see, those four points do not form the vertices of a rectangle. (I think it should be a parallelogram.)

Isn't a rectangle a sort of parallelogram ? How did you see it's a parallelogram ?

Yes, a rectangle is a type of parallelogram. Because you said it is a rectangle, it is a parallelogram. I'm not sure that calling it a parallelogram helps though!

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that contain both a real and an imaginary component. They are written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part with the imaginary unit i.

2. How do you find the number of solutions for a complex number equation?

To find the number of solutions for a complex number equation, you need to look at the discriminant, which is b^2-4ac in the quadratic formula. If the discriminant is positive, there are two distinct solutions. If it is zero, there is one real solution. If it is negative, there are two complex solutions.

3. Can a complex number have more than two solutions?

No, a complex number can only have a maximum of two solutions. This is because a complex number equation is a quadratic equation, and a quadratic equation can have a maximum of two solutions.

4. How do you know if a complex number equation has no solutions?

If the discriminant of a complex number equation is negative, the equation has no real solutions. This means that the equation has two complex solutions, but they are not real numbers.

5. Can a complex number have a real solution?

Yes, a complex number can have a real solution. This happens when the discriminant of the complex number equation is equal to zero, resulting in only one real solution. In this case, the imaginary part of the complex number is equal to zero, making it a real number.