Complex Polynomials and Minimal Values

• Thread starter moo5003
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hello, I'm trying to prove the fundamental thereom of algebra using the minimal modulous principal. There is one step that I cannot make sense out of logically and I was wondering if one of you could explain it to me.

If the limit as |z| approaches infinity implies |P(z)| approaches infinity for some non-constant polynomial then there exists an a in C such that |P(a)| <or= |P(z)| for all z. Why does this follow?

Answers and Replies

JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hello, I'm trying to prove the fundamental thereom of algebra using the minimal modulous principal. There is one step that I cannot make sense out of logically and I was wondering if one of you could explain it to me.

If the limit as |z| approaches infinity implies |P(z)| approaches infinity for some non-constant polynomial then there exists an a in C such that |P(a)| <or= |P(z)| for all z. Why does this follow?
I don't quite remember exactly how it goes, but I remember it using 1/|P(z)|.

I'd have to wait until I get home to find out how it went.

So, after reading wikipedia for awhile. It follows since you can find a closed disk around 0 with radius r where |f(z)|>or=|f(0)| where |z|>r since the limit goes to infinity. And since the disk is a compact set it must contain a minimum value of z_0. Thus |f(z_0)| <or= |f(x)| for all x in C.

Note: z_0 is on interior of the disk not the boundary.