1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex numbers polynomial divisibility proof

1. Apr 24, 2014 #1
    I'm not sure whether this should go in this forum or another. feel free to move it if needed
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose that [itex] z_0 \in \mathbb{C}. [/itex] A polynomial [itex] P(z)[/itex] is said to be dvisible by [itex] z-z_0 [/itex] if there is another polynomial [itex] Q(z)[/itex] such that [itex] P(z)=(z-z_0)Q(z). [/itex]
    Show that for every [itex] c \in\mathbb{C} [/itex] and [itex] k \in\mathbb{N} [/itex], the polynomial [itex] c(z^k - z_0^k ) [/itex] is divisible by [itex] z - z_0 [/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

This is just the part a of the problem.
    I havent tried the other parts yet, because Im not sure if my approach was correct.
    well here it is:

basically I interpreted the problem as: find [itex] Q(z) [/itex] such that [itex] P(z) = (z-z_0)Q(z)[/itex] and [itex] P(z) = c(z^k - z_0^k ) [/itex]

then [itex] Q(z) = \Large\frac{P(z)}{z-z_0)} = \Large c\frac{(z^k - z_0^k)}{z-z_0} [/itex]
    then using complex division (AKA multiply by the conjugate):
    [itex] Q(z) = \Large c\frac{z^k(z+z_0) }{z^2 + z_0^2} -\Large c\frac{z_0^k(z+z_0) }{z^2 +z_0^2} [/itex]

[itex] Q(z) = \Large\frac{cz^{k+1} +cz^kz_0}{z^2 +z_0^2} - \Large\frac{cz_0^kz+cz_0^{k+1}}{z^2+z_0^2} [/itex]

and then: [itex] Q(z) = \Large\frac{c}{(z^2 +z_0^2)}\normalsize(z^{k+1} + z^kz_0 -z_0^kz - z_0^{k+1}) [/itex] which is a polynomial.

So: there exists a polynomial satisfying the required conditions and therefore [itex] P(z)[/itex] is divisible by [itex]z-z_0[/itex]

it looks okay but I'm not 100% confident on this...

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2014 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think you will need to give an argument that this is a polynomial!

4. Apr 24, 2014 #3
    Well...
    now that you mention it I'm not quite sure I have an argument for that...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted