Complicated mechanics resolving forces and angles question

In summary: It's OK to post follow-up questions in the same thread.In summary, the problem involves an object with a weight of 20N supported by three strings in equilibrium. String A has a tension of 15N to the right of the block, while String B and C have the same tension. The goal is to show that the angle between String A and B is 82 degrees. The equations used are cos(theta)/sin(theta)=tan(theta) and Forces in equilibrium cancel each other out. The attempt at a solution involves replacing A and B with T and rearranging equations, but further clarification is needed on the angles and whether to use simultaneous equations or trigonometric functions to solve for the values of a and t.
xllx

Homework Statement

An object has a weight of 20N. It is supported by three strings to keep it in equilibrium, all attached to a smooth ring on the object. String A has a tension of 15N to the right of the block. String B is (a)degrees away from string A and String C is 90degrees away from String B. String B and C have the same tension. Show that the angle is 82 degrees

Homework Equations

cos(theta)/sin(theta)=tan(theta)
Forces in equilibrium cancel each other out.

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I've got this, but get stuck past this point:

15+Bcos(a)=Acos(90-a) and 20=Bsin(a) + Asin(90-a)
A and B then can be replaced by T and rearranged:

Tcos(a)=-Tsin(90-a) + 20
Tsin(a)= Tcos(90-a)-15

tan(a)= -Tsin(90-a)+20/Tcos(90-a)-15

But then I don't know how to resolve it. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated! Many Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
xllx said:

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I've got this, but get stuck past this point:

15+Bcos(a)=Acos(90-a) and 20=Bsin(a) + Asin(90-a)
Perhaps you have the benefit of a figure that we cannot see, but when I read the question I would say that rope C's angle is 90+a.

A and B then can be replaced by T and rearranged:

Tcos(a)=-Tsin(90-a) + 20
The LHS should be T sin(a) here.

Tsin(a)= Tcos(90-a)-15
The LHS here should be T cos(a)

Try making the corrections I indicated, then we'll have another look at what you have. Also, think about whether it's 90-a or 90+a for rope C. Again, you may be right about 90-a, if you have a figure that shows the rope arrangement.

Redbelly98 said:
Perhaps you have the benefit of a figure that we cannot see, but when I read the question I would say that rope C's angle is 90+a.

The LHS should be T sin(a) here.

The LHS here should be T cos(a)

Try making the corrections I indicated, then we'll have another look at what you have. Also, think about whether it's 90-a or 90+a for rope C. Again, you may be right about 90-a, if you have a figure that shows the rope arrangement.

Sorry I think I've got slightly confused with the letters. I think that it is 90-a because the angles are along a straight line and so will add up to 180 degrees. And so the angle between string B and C is 90 degrees so angle (a) plus the angle between A and the line has also got to add up to 90 degrees and the angle will be 90-a. Am I totally wrong? But that is where I was coming from to get the angle.

If I change the equations I then get:
Tsin(a)=-Tsin(90+a)+20
Tcos(a)=Tcos(90-a)-15

I've got to show that a=81.87 and t=17.68 and it only works if the second one is minus.

From there do I divide them to get tan(a) or do simultaneous equations?

I'm continuing the discussion in your other thread on this same problem here: (where there is a figure)

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=304164

Please, in the future don't double-post questions. Things would become very cluttered in the forums if everybody did that.

What is the definition of "complicated mechanics"?

"Complicated mechanics" refers to the study of the behavior and motion of objects under the influence of various forces and angles. This includes concepts such as Newton's laws of motion, vector analysis, and torque calculations.

What is the purpose of resolving forces and angles in mechanics?

The purpose of resolving forces and angles in mechanics is to break down complex forces and angles into simpler components that are easier to analyze and understand. This allows for the calculation of the net force and resulting motion of an object.

What are the steps to resolving forces and angles in mechanics?

The steps to resolving forces and angles in mechanics typically involve drawing a free body diagram, identifying all the forces and angles acting on an object, breaking down these forces and angles into their component parts, and using vector analysis to determine the net force and resulting motion of the object.

What are the key principles to keep in mind when resolving forces and angles in mechanics?

The key principles to keep in mind when resolving forces and angles in mechanics include the conservation of energy, Newton's laws of motion, and the use of vector analysis to determine the magnitude and direction of forces and angles. It is also important to consider the effects of friction, air resistance, and other external factors.

What are some common applications of resolving forces and angles in mechanics?

Resolving forces and angles in mechanics is essential for understanding the motion of objects in real-world scenarios. It is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and sports to analyze the forces acting on structures, vehicles, and athletes. It is also used in designing and optimizing machines and structures to ensure their stability and safety.