1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complicated mechanics resolving forces and angles question!

1. Apr 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An object has a weight of 20N. It is supported by three strings to keep it in equilibrium, all attached to a smooth ring on the object. String A has a tension of 15N to the right of the block. String B is (a)degrees away from string A and String C is 90degrees away from String B. String B and C have the same tension. Show that the angle is 82 degrees

2. Relevant equations
    cos(theta)/sin(theta)=tan(theta)
    Forces in equilibrium cancel each other out.

3. The attempt at a solution
    So far I've got this, but get stuck past this point:

15+Bcos(a)=Acos(90-a) and 20=Bsin(a) + Asin(90-a)
    A and B then can be replaced by T and rearranged:

Tcos(a)=-Tsin(90-a) + 20
    Tsin(a)= Tcos(90-a)-15

tan(a)= -Tsin(90-a)+20/Tcos(90-a)-15

But then I don't know how to resolve it. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated! Many Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2009 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Perhaps you have the benefit of a figure that we cannot see, but when I read the question I would say that rope C's angle is 90+a.

The LHS should be T sin(a) here.

The LHS here should be T cos(a)

Try making the corrections I indicated, then we'll have another look at what you have. Also, think about whether it's 90-a or 90+a for rope C. Again, you may be right about 90-a, if you have a figure that shows the rope arrangement.

4. Apr 3, 2009 #3
    Sorry I think I've got slightly confused with the letters. I think that it is 90-a because the angles are along a straight line and so will add up to 180 degrees. And so the angle between string B and C is 90 degrees so angle (a) plus the angle between A and the line has also got to add up to 90 degrees and the angle will be 90-a. Am I totally wrong? But that is where I was coming from to get the angle.

If I change the equations I then get:
    Tsin(a)=-Tsin(90+a)+20
    Tcos(a)=Tcos(90-a)-15

I've got to show that a=81.87 and t=17.68 and it only works if the second one is minus.

From there do I divide them to get tan(a) or do simultaneous equations?

5. Apr 3, 2009 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm continuing the discussion in your other thread on this same problem here: (where there is a figure)

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=304164

Please, in the future don't double-post questions. Things would become very cluttered in the forums if everybody did that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook