How do you work out the tension and angle of this block in equilibrium?

In summary, the homework statement is trying to solve for the tension in each string and the angle between each string and the block.
xllx

Homework Statement

A block that has a weight of 20N, is in equilibrium. It is attached to 3 strings, A, B and C. String A has a tension of 15N to the right of the block. Between String A and B is the angle (a) and between B and C is 90degrees. The tension in String B and C is the same. Calculate the tension and the angle (a).

Homework Equations

sum of the forces=0

The Attempt at a Solution

For the horizontal forces I got:
15+Tcos(a)=Tcos(90+a)

And then for the vertical:
20=Tsin(a)+Tsin(90+a)

But I don't know how to figure it out from there, or whether they are even right. Any help at all would be greatly apprecaited!

Physics news on Phys.org
cos(90+a) = sin(a)
sin (90+a) = -cos(a)

But, why the angle is 90+a?

rootX said:
cos(90+a) = sin(a)
sin (90+a) = -cos(a)

But, why the angle is 90+a?

The angle of String C is 90degrees plus (a) away from the 15N to the right. I've attached a diagram of the situation, sorry I aren't very good at expalining. Am I totally wrong with the angles??

Thanks by the way!

Attachments

• Mechanics2.bmp
    273.9 KB · Views: 481
It is easier to visualize if you use 90-a (triangle left to the force vector C).

I would recommend to divide both equations and eliminate T. Then you will get Acos (a) = B sin(a) relationship..which is easier to solve

So my two equations are:

15+Bcos(a)=Ccos(90-a)
20=Bsin(a)+Csin(90-a)

Which because the tension is the same in both means the A and C can be replaced by T:

15+Tcos(a)=Tcos(90-a)
20=Tsin(a)+Tsin(90-a)

From this do I rearrange to get Tcos(a) and Tsin(a) as the subjects? And if they are divided they equal tan(a), or is this wrong?

I would next simplify the cos(90-a) and sin(90-a). You can use the trig formulas for sin(x-y) and cos(x-y) to do this.

Last edited:

1. How do you determine the tension in a block in equilibrium?

To determine the tension in a block in equilibrium, you can use the equation T = mg + ma, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the block, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and a is the acceleration of the block. You can also use the sum of forces in the x and y directions to solve for the tension.

2. What factors affect the tension in a block in equilibrium?

The tension in a block in equilibrium is affected by the weight of the block, the angle of the rope, and any external forces acting on the block. It is also affected by the mass and acceleration of the block, as shown in the equation T = mg + ma.

3. How do you find the angle of a block in equilibrium?

To find the angle of a block in equilibrium, you can use the inverse tangent function (tan^-1) of the ratio of the vertical and horizontal components of the force acting on the block. This will give you the angle between the block and the horizontal surface.

4. Can the tension in a block in equilibrium ever be zero?

Yes, the tension in a block in equilibrium can be zero if the weight of the block is equal to the tension in the rope. This means that the block is not moving and there is no net force acting on it.

5. How does the angle of the rope affect the tension in a block in equilibrium?

The angle of the rope affects the tension in a block in equilibrium by changing the direction of the force applied to the block. As the angle increases, the horizontal component of the force decreases, while the vertical component increases. This results in a change in the tension and can affect the equilibrium of the block.