Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Component of Fibonacci Sequence

1. Oct 18, 2006 #1
    Please excuse my total ignorance but can someon explain to me how the following part of a certain proof makes sense

We want to show that Fk+1 ≤ (7/4)^(k+1). Consider fk+1 = fk + fk−1 (We can do this
    as k +1 is at least 2; see the comment following the basis) < (7/4)^k +(7 /4)^(k−1) (by the Induction Hypothesis;
    notice how the stronger hypothesis comes in handy here.)

The parts I bolded in red are mainly the things I dont understand. I plugged in the (7/4)...part into my calculator and did not get the alleged answer I was supposed to get if it were simply (7/4)^k+1. Can someone please enlighten me? :bugeye:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2006 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If a<b, and c>0, then ac<bc (and no that is not cryptic - you end up with something that you wish to show is less than something else - there is no reason to suppose they are equal, nor is it necessary. If I want to show something is less than 4 and I show it is less than 3 I've shown it is less than 4, for example).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?