1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Composition of two equivalence relations

1. Dec 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The question is let E1 and E2 be equivalence relations on set X. A new relation R is defined as the E1 o E2, the composition of the two relations. We must prove or disprove that R is an equivalence relation.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that we must prove
    1) reflexive - this is easy just E1 = E1
    2) symmetric
    3)transitive

but I am unsure of how to prove the last two.
    Thanks for any help in advance and if you need more information I will try to provide.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I'm unfamiliar with the concept of composition of equivalence relations. Does it mean that if xE1y and yE2z then xE1oE2z?

4. Dec 11, 2012 #3
    Let E1 and E2 be equivalence relations on a non-empty set X. Define a new relationRonXbyxRyifthereexistsaz∈XsuchthatxE1 zandzE2 y. TherelationR is often denoted as E1 ◦ E2 and is called the composition of the relations E1 and E2. Prove or disprove: R is an equivalence relation on X, which in words is that the composition of equivalence relations is an equivalence relation.

This is the rest of the information

5. Dec 11, 2012 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

OK, that's what I guessed.
    I don't understand your proof there. What do you mean by 'E1=E1'? It's not the equivalence of equivalence relations that's at issue.
    Write those last two out in terms of what you would need to prove re E1oE2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook