Proof involving partitions and equivalence class

In summary: Thanks!In summary, the conversation discusses how every partition of X naturally determines an equivalence relation with equivalence classes that match the subsets from the partition. The proof shows that the definition of the relation satisfies the properties of reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity, thus making it an equivalence relation. The bolded part, which asks for further clarification on what needs to be proven, is already satisfied by the previous statements and does not require any additional proof.
Korisnik

Homework Statement

Show that every partition of X naturally determines an equivalence relation whose equivalence classes match the subsets from the partition.

Homework Equations

( 1 ) we know that equivalence sets on X can either be disjoint or equal

The Attempt at a Solution

Let Ai be a partition of X, i ∈ I, where I is an enumeration set, R is a relation on X. Let x,y∈X, xRy ⇔ ∃i∈I : x, y∈ Ai.

Since X is partitioned into sets, we choose Ai by taking an arbitrary number i∈I, Ai isn't empty.

Let x∈Ai. Thus xRx (reflexivity).
Let x, y∈Ai. x, y∈Ai ⇒ y, x ∈Ai ⇔ xRy ⇒ yRx (symmetry).
Let x, y∈Ai and y, z∈Ai then x, z∈Ai ⇔ xRy ∧ yRz ⇒ xRz (transitivity) (1).

Thus R is an equivalence relation.

The part so far is pretty clear. What I actually have to prove is the bolded part, and I'm not sure what is it that I have to prove. So far I've done this:

By definition of an equivalence class, each such equivalence relation (such that every pair of two elements of the same subset are in that relation) determines an equivalence class on each different subset.

Which essentially means: it's obvious from the definition... and I'm not satisfied with it. What should I prove, i.e. how do you formalize “equivalence classes are equal to subsets in a partition set”? How to start?

Physics news on Phys.org
Korisnik said:

Homework Statement

Show that every partition of X naturally determines an equivalence relation whose equivalence classes match the subsets from the partition.

Homework Equations

( 1 ) we know that equivalence sets on X can either be disjoint or equal

The Attempt at a Solution

Let Ai be a partition of X, i ∈ I, where I is an enumeration set, R is a relation on X. Let x,y∈X, xRy ⇔ ∃i∈I : x, y∈ Ai.

Since X is partitioned into sets, we choose Ai by taking an arbitrary number i∈I, Ai isn't empty.

Let x∈Ai. Thus xRx (reflexivity).
Let x, y∈Ai. x, y∈Ai ⇒ y, x ∈Ai ⇔ xRy ⇒ yRx (symmetry).
Let x, y∈Ai and y, z∈Ai then x, z∈Ai ⇔ xRy ∧ yRz ⇒ xRz (transitivity) (1).

Thus R is an equivalence relation.

The part so far is pretty clear. What I actually have to prove is the bolded part, and I'm not sure what is it that I have to prove. So far I've done this:

By definition of an equivalence class, each such equivalence relation (such that every pair of two elements of the same subset are in that relation) determines an equivalence class on each different subset.

Which essentially means: it's obvious from the definition... and I'm not satisfied with it. What should I prove, i.e. how do you formalize “equivalence classes are equal to subsets in a partition set”? How to start?
You don't have to start, you are already done. :oldsmile:
"Let x,y∈X, xRy ⇔ ∃i∈I : x, y∈ Ai" is the bolded text in symbols, and you have proved that this defines an equivalence relation.

Likes Korisnik
Okay, I guess you're right. I should leave it alone.

1. What is a partition in mathematics?

A partition in mathematics is a way of dividing a set into non-overlapping subsets, where each element in the original set belongs to exactly one subset. This is similar to dividing a pie into slices, where each slice contains a different part of the pie and no part of the pie is left out.

2. How are partitions related to equivalence classes?

Partitions and equivalence classes are closely related because every partition of a set corresponds to a unique equivalence relation on that set. This means that the elements in each subset of a partition are considered equivalent, while elements in different subsets are considered distinct.

3. What is the importance of proofs involving partitions and equivalence classes?

Proofs involving partitions and equivalence classes are important in mathematics because they allow us to better understand the structure and relationships within a set. They also allow us to study complex mathematical objects by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable parts.

4. Can partitions and equivalence classes be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, partitions and equivalence classes can be applied to real-world situations. For example, in social sciences, a partition can represent different groups of people based on certain characteristics, while equivalence classes can represent similarities or connections between individuals in these groups.

5. Are there any common misconceptions about proofs involving partitions and equivalence classes?

One common misconception is that partitions and equivalence classes are only used in abstract mathematics. However, they have practical applications in various fields, such as computer science, economics, and statistics. Another misconception is that partitions and equivalence classes are only used for finite sets, but they can also be applied to infinite sets.