Compression of spring wrt speed

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a block colliding with a spring at different speeds and the resulting compression of the spring. Various equations and methods are suggested to solve the problem, including equating energies and setting up ratios. Ultimately, the solution is found by multiplying the given compression by 4, since the speed is also increased by a factor of 4.
brunettegurl

Homework Statement

A block sliding along a horizontal frictionless surface with speed v collides with a spring and compresses it by 2.34 cm. What will be the compression if the same block collides with the spring at a speed of 4.00v?

Homework Equations

e=0.5mvSUP]2[/SUP] e= 0.5k*x2

The Attempt at a Solution

i thought abt equating the two and solving it in regards but there are too many unknown values to cancel them out...and also to find a way to make a connection btw the given information.
my next thought was to times the given compression by 4 since the speed is also increased but that proved to be wrong..pls. help

Physics news on Phys.org
brunettegurl said:
my next thought was to times the given compression by 4 since the speed is also increased but that proved to be wrong
That should be correct. [edit: At first I said it was wrong, but I didn't read it carefully.]

Set up a ratio to verify it.

Last edited:
Equate both energies, potential and kinetic for both systems independently. Then divide the equations against each other and see what pops out.

ok ...so I'm a little confused abt the divide them against part..so if i do that the k and m would cancel off living (v2+16v2)= (0.0234)2(x2)...does that look right or am i totally off track??

brunettegurl said:
ok ...so I'm a little confused abt the divide them against part..so if i do that the k and m would cancel off living (v2+16v2)= (0.0234)2(x2)...does that look right or am i totally off track??
I don't quite understand what you did. Yes, the m and k drop out, but you should have v12/v22 = x12/x22 (or equivalent).

(Read my correction to my last post.)

ok thanks :))

1. How does the speed affect the compression of a spring?

The speed of an object affects the compression of a spring because it determines the amount of force applied to the spring. The faster the object is moving, the more momentum it has and the more force it will exert on the spring when it comes into contact with it.

2. Does the mass of the object affect the compression of the spring?

Yes, the mass of the object does affect the compression of a spring. A heavier object will have more momentum and therefore apply more force on the spring, resulting in a greater compression. However, the relationship between mass and compression is not linear, as the spring will eventually reach its maximum compression limit.

3. Is there a maximum speed at which a spring can be compressed?

Yes, there is a maximum speed at which a spring can be compressed. This is because the spring has a certain capacity for storing potential energy, and if the object's speed is too high, it will exceed the spring's capacity and cause it to break or become permanently deformed.

4. How does the spring constant affect the compression at different speeds?

The spring constant, which measures the stiffness of a spring, directly affects the amount of compression at different speeds. A higher spring constant means that the spring will require more force to compress, regardless of the object's speed. Therefore, a spring with a higher spring constant will not compress as much as a spring with a lower spring constant at the same speed.

5. Can the compression of a spring be used to determine the speed of an object?

Yes, the compression of a spring can be used to determine the speed of an object. This is because the amount of compression is directly related to the force applied and the speed of the object. By measuring the compression of the spring, you can calculate the speed of the object using the spring constant and the mass of the object.