1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compression of spring wrt speed

1. May 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A block sliding along a horizontal frictionless surface with speed v collides with a spring and compresses it by 2.34 cm. What will be the compression if the same block collides with the spring at a speed of 4.00v?

2. Relevant equations

e=0.5mvSUP]2[/SUP] e= 0.5k*x2

3. The attempt at a solution
    i thought abt equating the two and solving it in regards but there are too many unknown values to cancel them out...and also to find a way to make a connection btw the given information.
    my next thought was to times the given compression by 4 since the speed is also increased but that proved to be wrong..pls. help

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

That should be correct. [edit: At first I said it was wrong, but I didn't read it carefully.]

Set up a ratio to verify it.

Last edited: May 22, 2009
  4. May 22, 2009 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Equate both energies, potential and kinetic for both systems independently. Then divide the equations against eachother and see what pops out.

5. May 22, 2009 #4
    ok ...so i'm a little confused abt the divide them against part..so if i do that the k and m would cancel off living (v2+16v2)= (0.0234)2(x2)...does that look right or am i totally off track??

6. May 22, 2009 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I don't quite understand what you did. Yes, the m and k drop out, but you should have v12/v22 = x12/x22 (or equivalent).

(Read my correction to my last post.)

7. May 22, 2009 #6
    ok thanks :))

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook