1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compton scattering theory question

1. Jun 12, 2014 #1
    The question is this: When a photon bounces off an electron, it gives some of its energy to the electron. The photon has no mass, however, and it must continue to travel at speed c. How is its reduced energy manifested?

Now, I do somewhat understand what the Compton effect is and I read in my course notes that in an elastic collision (which is what this is, right?) of a photon with an electron, momentum is conserved. Would it make sense to say that the photon transfers energy to the electron and the frequency decreases because of this loss of energy? Could someone please help clarify? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2014 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yes, that's exactly what happens.

4. Jun 13, 2014 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

In any collision, whether elastic or inelastic, momentum is conserved.

A collision is elastic if the total kinetic energy is conserved. This is true for Compton scattering because we have a photon and electron coming in, and a photon and electron going out. The sum of the rest-energies is the same before and after, therefore the total KE is the same before and after.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted