Compton scattering theory question

In summary, when a photon bounces off an electron, it transfers some of its energy to the electron. This results in a decrease in the photon's frequency, as energy is conserved in the collision. This is known as the Compton effect and is an elastic collision, meaning momentum and total kinetic energy are conserved.
salmayoussef
The question is this: When a photon bounces off an electron, it gives some of its energy to the electron. The photon has no mass, however, and it must continue to travel at speed c. How is its reduced energy manifested?

Now, I do somewhat understand what the Compton effect is and I read in my course notes that in an elastic collision (which is what this is, right?) of a photon with an electron, momentum is conserved. Would it make sense to say that the photon transfers energy to the electron and the frequency decreases because of this loss of energy? Could someone please help clarify? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that's exactly what happens.

salmayoussef said:
I read in my course notes that in an elastic collision (which is what this is, right?) of a photon with an electron, momentum is conserved.

In any collision, whether elastic or inelastic, momentum is conserved.

A collision is elastic if the total kinetic energy is conserved. This is true for Compton scattering because we have a photon and electron coming in, and a photon and electron going out. The sum of the rest-energies is the same before and after, therefore the total KE is the same before and after.

1. What is Compton scattering?

Compton scattering is a fundamental phenomenon in which a photon (particle of light) collides with an electron, resulting in a decrease in the energy and increase in the wavelength of the photon.

2. How does Compton scattering support the theory of quantum mechanics?

Compton scattering provides evidence for the particle-like nature of light, as predicted by quantum mechanics. The change in energy and wavelength of the photon can only be explained by treating light as discrete packets of energy (photons) rather than a continuous wave.

3. What is the Compton scattering formula?

The Compton scattering formula is Δλ = h/(mec)(1-cosθ), where Δλ is the change in wavelength of the scattered photon, h is Planck's constant, me is the mass of the electron, c is the speed of light, and θ is the scattering angle.

4. How is Compton scattering used in medical imaging?

Compton scattering is used in medical imaging techniques such as X-ray imaging and CT scans. The scattering of X-rays by the body's tissues allows for the creation of images that can be used for diagnostic purposes.

5. Can Compton scattering occur with other particles besides photons and electrons?

Yes, Compton scattering can occur with any particle that has both mass and energy, such as protons or neutrons. However, the amount of energy transferred in the scattering process is much smaller for heavier particles, making it more difficult to observe.