Compute the magnitude of the current density

Homework Statement

Copper and aluminum are being considered for a high‐voltage transmission line that must carry a current of 51.4 A. The resistance per unit length is to be 0.176 Ω/km. Compute the magnitude of the current density for an aluminum cable.

Homework Equations

[itex]R\quad =\quad \frac { \rho L }{ A } \\ J\quad =\quad \frac { I }{ A } [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\frac { R }{ L } \quad =\quad 0.176\frac { \Omega }{ km } \quad =\quad 1.76x10-4\frac { \Omega }{ m } \\ \\ \frac { R }{ L } \quad =\quad \frac { \rho }{ A } \quad \quad \quad \quad \quad A\quad =\quad \frac { I }{ J } \\ \\ \frac { R }{ L } \quad =\quad \frac { \rho J }{ I } \\ \\ \frac { RI }{ L\rho } \quad =\quad J\quad =\quad 1.76x10-4\quad *\quad \frac { 51.4 }{ 2.65x10-8 } \quad =\quad 3.41x10+5\quad [/itex]

This is marked as wrong, any tips?

Answers and Replies

TSny
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Your work looks correct to me, but you didn't include the units in your final answer.

Your work looks correct to me, but you didn't include the units in your final answer.
Units of J are A/m^2
Strange, it still marks that as the wrong answer

TSny
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hmm. I can't see anything wrong. Different references can give somewhat different values for the resistivity of aluminum. But I guess you are using the value from your textbook or notes from class. See http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2004/ValPolyakov.shtml

Resistivity is temperature dependent, but no information about temperature is given in the statement of the problem.

Last edited:
Hmm. I can't see anything wrong. Different references can give somewhat different values for the resistivity of aluminum. But I guess you are using the value from your textbook or notes from class. See http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2004/ValPolyakov.shtml

Resistivity is temperature dependent, but no information about temperature is given in the statement of the problem.
I can't see anything wrong either, i'll just have to ask the prof. Thanks for the help!

TSny
Homework Helper
Gold Member
OK. Please report back if there is a mistake in the calculation. I would like to know what I'm missing.

OK. Please report back if there is a mistake in the calculation. I would like to know what I'm missing.
Sure thing

Are you sure your resistivity value is correct? Since it is both copper and aluminum, I added the resistivity values of both copper and aluminum together and got a resistivity values of 4.5x10^-8. I am not sure if that is how you combine them, but if it is, I got a value of 2.01x10^5. I hope this helps=).

SammyS
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Are you sure your resistivity value is correct? Since it is both copper and aluminum, I added the resistivity values of both copper and aluminum together and got a resistivity values of 4.5x10^-8. I am not sure if that is how you combine them, but if it is, I got a value of 2.01x10^5. I hope this helps=).
It would be more appropriate to compare the two. Adding the resistivities makes little or no sense.

Sorry, I didn't see that we were only looking for the resistivity of the aluminum cable. In that case, I think that the resistivity might still wrong because I looked it up, and it came up to be 2.82X10^-8. Not much of a difference, but try it. Sorry again.

No mistake, just a slightly different resistivity

TSny
Homework Helper
Gold Member
OK, that's good to know. Thanks.