1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compute the magnitude of the current density

1. Apr 3, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Copper and aluminum are being considered for a high‐voltage transmission line that must carry a current of 51.4 A. The resistance per unit length is to be 0.176 Ω/km. Compute the magnitude of the current density for an aluminum cable.

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]R\quad =\quad \frac { \rho L }{ A } \\ J\quad =\quad \frac { I }{ A } [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    [itex]\frac { R }{ L } \quad =\quad 0.176\frac { \Omega }{ km } \quad =\quad 1.76x10-4\frac { \Omega }{ m } \\ \\ \frac { R }{ L } \quad =\quad \frac { \rho }{ A } \quad \quad \quad \quad \quad A\quad =\quad \frac { I }{ J } \\ \\ \frac { R }{ L } \quad =\quad \frac { \rho J }{ I } \\ \\ \frac { RI }{ L\rho } \quad =\quad J\quad =\quad 1.76x10-4\quad *\quad \frac { 51.4 }{ 2.65x10-8 } \quad =\quad 3.41x10+5\quad [/itex]

This is marked as wrong, any tips?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your work looks correct to me, but you didn't include the units in your final answer.

4. Apr 3, 2016 #3
    Units of J are A/m^2
    Strange, it still marks that as the wrong answer

5. Apr 3, 2016 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hmm. I can't see anything wrong. Different references can give somewhat different values for the resistivity of aluminum. But I guess you are using the value from your textbook or notes from class. See http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2004/ValPolyakov.shtml

Resistivity is temperature dependent, but no information about temperature is given in the statement of the problem.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  6. Apr 3, 2016 #5
    I can't see anything wrong either, i'll just have to ask the prof. Thanks for the help!

7. Apr 3, 2016 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK. Please report back if there is a mistake in the calculation. I would like to know what I'm missing.

8. Apr 3, 2016 #7
    Sure thing

9. Apr 4, 2016 #8
    Are you sure your resistivity value is correct? Since it is both copper and aluminum, I added the resistivity values of both copper and aluminum together and got a resistivity values of 4.5x10^-8. I am not sure if that is how you combine them, but if it is, I got a value of 2.01x10^5. I hope this helps=).

10. Apr 4, 2016 #9

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It would be more appropriate to compare the two. Adding the resistivities makes little or no sense.

11. Apr 4, 2016 #10
    Sorry, I didn't see that we were only looking for the resistivity of the aluminum cable. In that case, I think that the resistivity might still wrong because I looked it up, and it came up to be 2.82X10^-8. Not much of a difference, but try it. Sorry again.

12. Apr 6, 2016 #11
    No mistake, just a slightly different resistivity

13. Apr 6, 2016 #12

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK, that's good to know. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted