Compute the magnitude of the current density

In summary, the conversation pertains to a high‐voltage transmission line that must carry a current of 51.4 A and the determination of the current density for an aluminum cable with a resistance per unit length of 0.176 Ω/km. The equations used for the calculation are R = ρL/A and J = I/A, and the final answer is 3.41x10+5 A/m^2, with the resistivity value of 2.82x10^-8. However, there is a slight variation in the resistivity value used in different references.
Sho Kano

Homework Statement

Copper and aluminum are being considered for a high‐voltage transmission line that must carry a current of 51.4 A. The resistance per unit length is to be 0.176 Ω/km. Compute the magnitude of the current density for an aluminum cable.

Homework Equations

[itex]R\quad =\quad \frac { \rho L }{ A } \\ J\quad =\quad \frac { I }{ A } [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\frac { R }{ L } \quad =\quad 0.176\frac { \Omega }{ km } \quad =\quad 1.76x10-4\frac { \Omega }{ m } \\ \\ \frac { R }{ L } \quad =\quad \frac { \rho }{ A } \quad \quad \quad \quad \quad A\quad =\quad \frac { I }{ J } \\ \\ \frac { R }{ L } \quad =\quad \frac { \rho J }{ I } \\ \\ \frac { RI }{ L\rho } \quad =\quad J\quad =\quad 1.76x10-4\quad *\quad \frac { 51.4 }{ 2.65x10-8 } \quad =\quad 3.41x10+5\quad [/itex]

This is marked as wrong, any tips?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your work looks correct to me, but you didn't include the units in your final answer.

TSny said:
Your work looks correct to me, but you didn't include the units in your final answer.
Units of J are A/m^2
Strange, it still marks that as the wrong answer

Hmm. I can't see anything wrong. Different references can give somewhat different values for the resistivity of aluminum. But I guess you are using the value from your textbook or notes from class. See http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2004/ValPolyakov.shtml

Resistivity is temperature dependent, but no information about temperature is given in the statement of the problem.

Last edited:
TSny said:
Hmm. I can't see anything wrong. Different references can give somewhat different values for the resistivity of aluminum. But I guess you are using the value from your textbook or notes from class. See http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2004/ValPolyakov.shtml

Resistivity is temperature dependent, but no information about temperature is given in the statement of the problem.
I can't see anything wrong either, i'll just have to ask the prof. Thanks for the help!

OK. Please report back if there is a mistake in the calculation. I would like to know what I'm missing.

TSny said:
OK. Please report back if there is a mistake in the calculation. I would like to know what I'm missing.
Sure thing

Are you sure your resistivity value is correct? Since it is both copper and aluminum, I added the resistivity values of both copper and aluminum together and got a resistivity values of 4.5x10^-8. I am not sure if that is how you combine them, but if it is, I got a value of 2.01x10^5. I hope this helps=).

Quantum2323 said:
Are you sure your resistivity value is correct? Since it is both copper and aluminum, I added the resistivity values of both copper and aluminum together and got a resistivity values of 4.5x10^-8. I am not sure if that is how you combine them, but if it is, I got a value of 2.01x10^5. I hope this helps=).
It would be more appropriate to compare the two. Adding the resistivities makes little or no sense.

Sorry, I didn't see that we were only looking for the resistivity of the aluminum cable. In that case, I think that the resistivity might still wrong because I looked it up, and it came up to be 2.82X10^-8. Not much of a difference, but try it. Sorry again.

TSny said:
No mistake, just a slightly different resistivity

OK, that's good to know. Thanks.

1. What is current density?

Current density is a measure of the amount of current flowing per unit area of a conductor. It is represented by the symbol J and is measured in amperes per square meter (A/m2).

2. How is current density calculated?

Current density is calculated by dividing the magnitude of the current flowing through a conductor by the cross-sectional area of the conductor. Mathematically, it can be expressed as J = I/A, where J is the current density, I is the current and A is the cross-sectional area.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of current density?

The magnitude of current density is affected by the type of material the conductor is made of, the cross-sectional area of the conductor, and the magnitude of the current flowing through the conductor. It also depends on external factors such as temperature and magnetic fields.

4. Why is it important to calculate current density?

Calculating current density is important in understanding how much current is flowing through a conductor and how it is distributed across the conductor's cross-sectional area. This information is crucial in designing and analyzing electrical systems, as well as in predicting the behavior of materials under high currents.

5. How is current density related to resistance?

Current density is indirectly related to resistance, as it is inversely proportional to the cross-sectional area of a conductor. This means that as the cross-sectional area decreases, the current density increases, which in turn increases the resistance. This relationship is described by the formula J = σE, where σ is the conductivity of the material and E is the electric field strength.