1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetostatics - Magnetic field of a nonuniform current slab

1. Nov 28, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A thick slab in the region [itex] 0 \leq z \leq a [/itex], and infinite in [itex] xy [/itex] plane carries a current density [itex] \vec{J} = Jz\hat{x} [/itex]. Find the magnetic field as a function of [itex]z[/itex], both inside and outside the slab.

2. Relevant equations
    Ampere's Law: [tex]\oint \vec{B} \cdot d\vec{l} = \mu_0 I_{\text{enc}}=\mu_0\int_S\vec{J}\cdot d\vec{a}[/tex]
    Biot-Savart Law: [tex]\vec{B}(\vec{r}) = \frac{\mu_0}{4\pi}I\int_C d\vec{l}'\times\frac{\vec{r}-\vec{r}'}{\left|\vec{r}-\vec{r}'\right|^3}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    My first approach was to start with the Ampere's Law. If the current density was uniform ([itex]\vec{J}=J\hat{x}[/itex]), by symmetry we would have [itex]B=0[/itex] at [itex]z=\frac{a}{2}[/itex] and find the magnetic field:
    [tex]Bl=\mu_0l(z-a/2)J \quad \Rightarrow \quad \vec{B_{\text{in}}} = -\mu_0J(z-a/2)\hat{y}[/tex]
    [itex]\dots[/itex]
    In this case though, with a non-uniform current density, I can't see any symmetry or a way to find a proper Amperian loop to use. Am I missing something here?

Next I thought about using Biot-Savart Law,
    [tex]\vec{B}(\vec{r})\stackrel{?}{=}\frac{\mu_0}{4\pi}\int_V \vec{J}d\tau'\times\frac{\vec{r}-\vec{r}'}{\left|\vec{r}-\vec{r}'\right|^3}[/tex]
    which I think is a bit of a ...stretch, since [itex]V[/itex] is infinite.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2017 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper

Suggestion is to use Ampere's law and find ## d \vec{B} ## for each wire of infinite length (as a function of z), that is located at height ## z=z' ##. (Each ## d \vec{B} ## will have x and y components, but no z component). ## \\ ##The current carried by each ## dz ## will be ## dI=Jz \, dz ##. Incidentally, the current is a surface current, so that it is a current density per unit length, and they would have been better to say that surface current per unit length ## \vec{K}=J \, z \, \hat{x} ## , where ## J ## is a constant with units of current/unit area.

4. Dec 2, 2017 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I suggest considering a thin sheet within the slab, at z=z. Make the x extent of the slab infinite but restrict the y direction to a length = 2L, making L arbitrarily large but finite.

Now consider an amperian loop extending parallel to the sheet in the y direction & wrapping around x = +/- L above and below the sheet. Can you assume ∫B⋅dl = - 2L J dz along the top and 2L J dz along the bottom of the sheet, ignoring ∫B⋅dl along the z direction above to below the sheet at x= + and -L?

Then sum all the thin sheets' B fields by integration.

5. Dec 2, 2017 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The current is traveling along the x direction so no x component of dB.

6. Dec 2, 2017 #5

Charles Link

Homework Helper

I got the geometry momentarily confused, but otherwise my comments are applicable.

7. Dec 3, 2017 #6

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I should have assumed a typo anyway.

I agree that J should have been written J = Jz z i
    where Jz = constant = dJ/dz and J is the usual current density in amp/m2.

Other than that I'm not sure what your "wire" is. What is its cross-section?

Not trying to be difficult, just trying to help the OP.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted