1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compute voltage inside sphere of uniform charge

1. Jan 23, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Problem 2.21 from Introduction to Electrodynamics, David J. Griffiths, Third Edition.

Find the potential inside and outside a uniformly charged solid sphere who's radius is R and whose total charge is q. Use infinity as your reference point.

2. Relevant equations
    Given: q, R, r'(r inside sphere)
    Variable: r
    ∫E da =q/ε0
    V = -∫[itex]^{r}_{∞}[/itex]E dl

3. The attempt at a solution
    Outside of sphere:
    |E|∫s r2sinΘdΘdø = (1/ε0)q
    E = (q)[itex]\widehat{r}[/itex]/(4π εor2)
    V = -∫[itex]^{r}_{∞}[/itex]E dr =q/4πε0r

The above is pretty straight forward. On the other hand, the Voltage inside the sphere completely illudes me. From the answer book, I know that is an A - B type problem but can't seem to get my mind around the concept. I know that the Voltage is a function of the radius but the E field is not zero as in a hollow sphere. How is the basic equation for the E field inside the sphere derived?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2014 #2

lightgrav

Homework Helper

charge inside the gaussian surface at r<R is proportional to the Volume enclosed: rho V_inside
    where rho = q/(4/3 pi R^3)

4. Jan 23, 2014 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

For a radius r>R, consider the sphere with a smaller radius (smaller than r) and the hollow sphere with a larger radius (larger than r) as separate objects. How can you calculate their field contributions?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted