Computer build for Physics and Math

In summary, DJA recommends a reasonable-speed processor, 8GB of RAM, and a 1TB hard drive for a first build. He also recommends getting a big hard drive (1 terabyte or more) and setting it up as a dual-boot system with windows and linux. The OP should be able to run specialized software using big data sets with this system.
Dan J
Hey folks!

I'm a proud poppa of a dedicated physics and math student. He's outgrown his laptop and is interested in putting together a system exclusively for crunching numbers and doing physics and math related output. He does not require a gaming build (which seems to dominate the "build" community out there...!), but would like to assemble a powerful system that will last.

Our budget is around $1500. Room for expansion would be good, and any advice about operating system preference - and anything else - would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for your help!

-DJ

Computer science news on Phys.org
A reasonable-speed processor should be OK but your budget probably would allow a fast one. Big thing is to get lots of memory. 8 gigs minimum for going forward but your budget would probably allow for 16. It would also be a good idea to get a big hard drive (1 terabyte or more) and set it up as a dual-boot system with windows and linux that way it should be easy to handle any software needs.

Will he be running specialized software using big data sets?

Great - thanks, phinds... This is a first build, so I'm thankful for your advice!

Greg Bernhardt said:
Will he be running specialized software using big data sets?
Yeah, "big data sets" sounds like exactly what he's wanting to tackle...!

Dan J said:
Yeah, "big data sets" sounds like exactly what he's wanting to tackle...!
For $1500 you should be able to get the latest processor and 16GB of RAM.

From Wikipedia, "A CPU core can execute 4 32-bit instructions per clock (using a 128-bit SSE instruction) or 8 via AVX (256-Bit), whereas a GPU like the Radeon HD 5970 can execute 3200 32-bit instructions per clock (using its 3200 ALUs or shaders)." Some software packages like MATLAB are GPU compatible.

baudrunner said:
From Wikipedia, "A CPU core can execute 4 32-bit instructions per clock (using a 128-bit SSE instruction) or 8 via AVX (256-Bit), whereas a GPU like the Radeon HD 5970 can execute 3200 32-bit instructions per clock (using its 3200 ALUs or shaders)." Some software packages like MATLAB are GPU compatible.

that doesn't seem to make sense. WHAT wikipedia article?

And what does it have to do with the OP's question?

baudrunner said:

phinds said:
that doesn't seem to make sense. WHAT wikipedia article?
It makes sense to me. Current CPUs contain a handful of arithmetic logic units (ALUs), but some of the graphics processing units (GPUs) contain hundreds of cores that can run concurrently.
phinds said:
And what does it have to do with the OP's question?
I believe the connection is that MATLAB calculations can take advantage of a GPU like the Radeon mentioned. nVidia also is a big player in this market.

Mark44 said:
It makes sense to me. Current CPUs contain a handful of arithmetic logic units (ALUs), but some of the graphics processing units (GPUs) contain hundreds of cores that can run concurrently.

I believe the connection is that MATLAB calculations can take advantage of a GPU like the Radeon mentioned. nVidia also is a big player in this market.

Ah ... that makes sense. Thanks.

As an aside, I just got a new nVidia video card so that I can write some massively parallel code. I don't care at all about games and whatnot, but the programming capabilities are a draw to me.

1. What components are essential for a computer build for Physics and Math?

The essential components for a computer build for Physics and Math are a fast processor, ample RAM, a dedicated graphics card, a high-quality monitor, and a reliable power supply. These components will ensure smooth and efficient calculations and simulations.

2. How much RAM is recommended for a computer build for Physics and Math?

It is recommended to have at least 16GB of RAM for a computer build for Physics and Math. This will allow for efficient multitasking and handling of large datasets and complex simulations.

3. Is an SSD necessary for a computer build for Physics and Math?

While not essential, an SSD (solid-state drive) can greatly improve the performance of a computer build for Physics and Math. It allows for faster data access and can significantly decrease loading times for large datasets and software applications.

4. What type of processor is best for a computer build for Physics and Math?

A high-end CPU (central processing unit) is recommended for a computer build for Physics and Math. This includes brands such as Intel Core i7 or i9 and AMD Ryzen 7 or 9. These processors have multiple cores and high clock speeds, making them ideal for complex calculations and simulations.

5. Do I need a dedicated graphics card for a computer build for Physics and Math?

A dedicated graphics card is not necessary for all Physics and Math applications, but it can greatly improve the performance of certain simulations and data visualization tasks. It is recommended to have at least a mid-range graphics card, such as an NVIDIA GTX or AMD Radeon RX, for a computer build for Physics and Math.