1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Computer/Electrical Engineering?

1. Sep 16, 2012 #1
    I know there are probably a lot of threads about this, but I want one for my specific situation.

My CC only has A.S. degrees (for computers anyway) for Computer Information Systems, Computer Science, Information Technology, and Pre-Engineering.

Right now I think I want to major in Computer engineering or electrical engineering when I transfer.

Which A.S. degree do you recommend I take so that I can have the credits I need to transfer and be prepared for the major when I do? I would think pre-engineering but I might want to take a year or two off after my A.S. to work and what in the world could I do with a A.S. in pre-engineering?

Thanks in advance!

Here are some links to the programs if you're interested:
    http://ccga.edu/Catalog/2012/program...mMajorCode=658 [Broken]
    http://ccga.edu/Catalog/2012/program...mMajorCode=659 [Broken]
    http://ccga.edu/Catalog/2012/program...mMajorCode=672 [Broken]
    http://ccga.edu/Catalog/2012/program...mMajorCode=681 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2012 #2
    I couldn't view any of the course programs... the browser said "file not found".

I think it's pretty tough to get a technician job these days. A lot of that type of work is overseas now. There are jobs in electronics that require a two-year degree but they are rare.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Sep 17, 2012 #3
  5. Sep 17, 2012 #4
    I looked at the pre-majors (I used to be an instructor at an ITT campus so I know a bit about AS and BET degrees.

Anyway, if you want to have the most flexibility when you transfer I strongly recommend "Pre-Engineering" 681. The others don't include Differential Equations which is a bedrock course for Electrical Engineering. If I were you, I would go for 681 and be sure to take as many Computer Science courses as well. If you do well you should be able to transfer to Georgia Tech which is a world-class Engineering school. Good luck!

6. Sep 17, 2012 #5
    I know when I went to CC for EE that I just took the required courses for the school I was going to transfer to. You can end up taking a lot of unneeded music classes and junk like that if you go for a AS in a community college. I'd go get the course flowchart from the University that you plan on attending and take as many of those classes as you can at the CC level. Most of the first two years are wasted time anyway - I had to take Texas history - while interesting - I can't remember anything about the class nor was it valuable to my career.

If you get an associates it's not going to buy you a whole lot IMHO. No engineering firm will hire you with a associates for engineering work, but they might for a technician job. But with a real desire to learn I think you should still be able to score a technician job if you show that you have 2 years of school behind you - regardless of having a AS degree.

I really wouldn't take a year or two off - you'll lose too much knowledge in those two years. Also the step from CC to University can be quite a leap for some (myself, included) and it is best to keep pushing through. I did take two years off to pursue an audio engineering career. Once I discovered that I couldn't feed my wife and myself on $30/week, I went back to EE and had to take some classes over (Calculus).

7. Sep 18, 2012 #6
    I've never understood why people at community colleges who are planning to transfer get AA or AS degrees. It doesn't help you get in, and as stated above you may need to take nontransferable or "useless" classes. Personally, I'm just taking classes that I know will transfer and that will satisfy distribution requirements for my future school.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook