1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computer Engineering vs Computer Systems Engineering

1. Sep 16, 2012 #1
    Hi, I'm currently a sophomore at a 4 year university. I'm going to be switching my major to something in engineering. (I've talked to an advisor to verify that I can do this without postponing my graduation.

My school offers an undergraduate degree in Computer Systems Engineering and a masters degree in Computer Engineering. However, when I look at job postings at places like Intel, Microsoft, Apple, etc, they all require a bachelors in Computer Engineering. I have been looking at other University's websites, and most of them offer a Computer Engineering bachelors.

Is there a difference between these two? If I got a bachelors in Computer Systems Engineering, would I still be eligible for the jobs that require a Computer Engineering degree? I've yet to see one job that says anything about a Computer Systems Engineering degree. I can post the major classes that I am going to take if that would be helpful.

Finally, would it be plausible for me to get into an EE masters program, assuming that I have good grades? I could do EE for my bachelors, but that would delay my graduation, something that I'm not really willing to do.

Here are some of the major courses I have to take:

Computer Organization and Assembly Language Programming
    Data Structures and Algorithms
    Introduction to Software Engineering
    Circuits I
    Circuits II
    Embedded Microprocessor Systems
    Design and Synthesis of Digital Hardware
    Operating Systems
    Computer Networks
    Systems Capstone Project I (L)
    Systems Capstone Project II (L)
    Computer Architecture I

These don't include the obvious physics, chem, calc, linear algebra, and diff eq. I also have to take 4 other upper division classes of my choosing. I can take Computer Architecture II, Mobile Computing, Network Security, to name a few.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2017 #2
    I ALSO NEED HELP ON THIS ASAP. I REALLY dont understand the difference between Computer Engineering and Computer Systems Engineering.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted