Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computing a kronecker product of two matrices

1. Apr 19, 2012 #1
    Does anyone know an algorithm for computing kronecker products of two matrices? It's probably not that hard, but I feel like my head is about to explode ATM, so if you can help me out that'd be cool. I want to implement this in fortran... I'll give you an example; Say I want compute the kronecker product between two 2x2 matrices (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tensor_product#Kronecker_product_of_two_matrices). I know that in the end the result of the product is a tensor, so the straightforward way to do this would be to create a rank 4 tensor in the program, but that's unwieldy... What I want is to generate a matrix (4x4), starting from these 2x2 matrices.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2012 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It seems to me that the definition you linked to has all the information you need. You probably just need to take a break, do something else for a couple of hours, and return to it with a fresh mind. If you have already tried that, then you should probably be more specific about what's causing you problems.
  4. Apr 20, 2012 #3
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook